Merlin Software Releases Public Test Version of Communicado FAX 4.0, Successor to HotWire FAX
Dec 29, 2000, 19:27 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by John Wolley)
How to Help Your Business Become an AI Early Adopter
Good news: Communicado builds upon and extends the HotWire
program that it replaces. Bad news: It may not be available as a
free download like HotWire was.
By John Wolley, Linux
Merlin Software Technologies has announced the public release of
Communicado FAX 4.0. Communicado FAX completely replaces the
HotWire FAX program that has been available for free download since
1995. Communicado FAX builds on the technology developed and tested
in HotWire FAX, but is said to be a significant upgrade to that
Major enhancements mentioned in the announcement include:
- Complete conversion to true client server technology
- Improved support for the newer class 2.0 FAX modem
- Completely updated interface written with Java and Swing
- Integration with Linux office products such as Star Office,
Applixware Office and WordPerfect Office Suite 2000 for Linux and
WordPerfect 8 for Linux.
The personal version is said to provide all of the facilities and
look and feel of modem e-mail programs. The enterprise version
provides remote clients for Microsoft Windows users, allowing them
to print, send, receive and view FAXes through Linux servers.
"We're very pleased to be able to release Communicado FAX 4.0
for public testing. It is an important step in the process of
releasing the product for general commercial distribution and we
encourage everyone to register to participate." said Robert Heller,
president and founder of Merlin Software Technologies. "From the
interest we received in the preview at Comdex Fall, we expect this
product to become an important part of Merlin's overall
communications software strategy."
Persons who wish to participate in the public test program can
register at http://www.MerlinSofTech.com/cfaxBeta.html.
This release is said to support most class 2 and 2.0 modems and has
been certified to run on Red Hat Linux 6.1, 6.2 and 7.0, and
Caldera eDesktop 2.4.
Communicado FAX was first introduced at Comdex Fall 2000, where
it was touted as the "first Linux FAX server that allows users to
FAX from any application on any platform." One of Communicado's
main competitors is the Keller Group's PMfax, a popular OS/2 FAX
program which was ported to Linux in September.
Communicado's predecessor, HotWire FAX, was first released in an
alpha version in January, 2000. HotWire FAX has been available to
individual users as a free download. The Communicado announcements,
for both its introduction at Comdex and for its current public
test, make no mention of "free download."
Merlin also makes
- LinuxPR: Interstar Technologies Launches LightningFAX 7.0 Enterprise Fax Software(Dec 07, 2000)
- 32BitsOnline: Faxing from Linux: Communicado FAX(Nov 25, 2000)
- LinuxPR: Merlin Software Introduces Communicado Fax At Comdex Fall 2000
(Nov 13, 2000)
- LinuxWorld: The line on PMfax - Acts as an answering machine and a fax machine(Nov 02, 2000)
- LinuxPR: Merlin Software Announces PerfectBACKUP+ v7.0 Beta for RedHat 6.2 and 7.0(Oct 19, 2000)
- LinuxPR: PMFax, Top-selling OS/2 Fax Software, Available on Linux
(Sep 22, 2000)
- BW: Merlin Software Announces $2.1 Million Funding(Aug 24, 2000)
- merlin.org: LinuxWorld Convention & Expo Summer 2000 [full report with hundreds of pictures](Aug 24, 2000)
- LinuxPR: Merlin Announces PerfectBACKUP+ Pre-load On Select IBM ThinkPads(Jun 22, 2000)
- LinuxMall.com: Merlin Conjures Up New Software License(May 02, 2000)