Linus Torvalds: Happy new year^H^H^H^Hkernel..
Jan 01, 2001, 01:03 (40 Talkback[s])
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
[ Thanks to Joel Sloan
for alerting us to this announcement: ]
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 12:24:44 -0800 (PST)
From: Linus Torvalds email@example.com
To: Kernel Mailing List firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: Happy new year^H^H^H^Hkernel..
Ok. I didn't make 2.4.0 in 2000. Tough. I tried, but we had some
last-minute stuff that needed fixing (ie the dirty page lists etc), and
the best I can do is make a prerelease.
There's a 2.4.0-prerelease out there, and this is basically it. I want
people to test it for a while, and I want to give other architectures the
chance to catch up with some of the changes, but read my lips: no more
recounts. There is no "prerelease1", to become "prerelease2" and so on.
One thing other architectures will want to catch up with is the changes to
handle 2GHz+ machines, which due to overflow issues caused "loops_per_sec"
to become "loops_per_jiffy". And some architectures have not had much
chance to synchronize with me due to other fires to put out.
Give it your worst. After you recover from being hung-over, of course.
- Alan Cox: more synchronizations
- Manfred Spraul: ptrace/suid-exec race fix
- x86 LDT handling fixes: revert some cleanups (the LDT really
doesn't act like a TLB context)
- Richard Henderson: alpha update (working memmove() from Ivan
- Manfred: winbond-840.c net driver update (fix oops on module unload etc)
- Alan Cox: more synchronizations (with some fixes from Andrew Morton)
- Marc Joosen: BIOS int15/e820 memory query: don't assume %edx
unchanged by the BIOS. Fixes at least some IBM ThinkPads.
- Alan Cox: synchronize
- Marcelo Tosatti & me: properly sync dirty pages
- Andreas Dilger: proper ext2 compat flag checking
- NIIBE Yutaka: SuperH update
- Geert Uytterhoeven: m68k update
- David Miller: TCP RTO calc fix, UDP multicast fix etc
- Duncan Laurie: ServerWorks PIRQ routing definition.
- mm PageDirty cleanups, added sanity checks, and don't lose the bit.
- Christoph Rohland: shmfs cleanup
- Nicolas Pitre: don't forget loop.c flags
- Geert Uytterhoeven: new-style m68k Makefiles
- Neil Brown: knfsd cleanups, raid5 re-org
- Andrea Arkangeli: update to LVM-0.9
- LC Chang: sis900 driver doc update
- David Miller: netfilter oops fix
- Andrew Grover: acpi update
- Christian Jullien: smc9194: proper dev_kfree_skb_irq
- Cort Dougan: new-style PowerPC Makefiles
- Andrew Morton, Petr Vandrovec: fix run_task_queue
- Christoph Rohland: shmfs for shared memory handling
- Kai Germaschewski: ISDN update (including Makefiles)
- Jens Axboe: cdrom updates
- Petr Vandrovec; Matrox G450 support
- Bill Nottingham: fix FAT32 filesystems on 64-bit platforms
- David Miller: sparc (and other) Makefile fixup
- Andrea Arkangeli: alpha SMP TLB context fix (and cleanups)
- Niels Kristian Bech Jensen: checkconfig, USB warnings
- Andrew Grover: large ACPI update
- me: drop support for old-style Makefiles entirely. Big.
- me: check b_end_io at the IO submission path
- me: fix "ptep_mkdirty()" (so that swapoff() works correctly)
- fix fault case in copy_from_user() with a constant size, where
((size & 3) == 3)