[ Thanks to Joel Sloan
for alerting us to this announcement: ]
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 12:24:44 -0800 (PST)
From: Linus Torvalds email@example.com
To: Kernel Mailing List firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: Happy new year^H^H^H^Hkernel..
Ok. I didn't make 2.4.0 in 2000. Tough. I tried, but we had some
last-minute stuff that needed fixing (ie the dirty page lists etc), and
the best I can do is make a prerelease.
There's a 2.4.0-prerelease out there, and this is basically it. I want
people to test it for a while, and I want to give other architectures the
chance to catch up with some of the changes, but read my lips: no more
recounts. There is no "prerelease1", to become "prerelease2" and so on.
One thing other architectures will want to catch up with is the changes to
handle 2GHz+ machines, which due to overflow issues caused "loops_per_sec"
to become "loops_per_jiffy". And some architectures have not had much
chance to synchronize with me due to other fires to put out.
Give it your worst. After you recover from being hung-over, of course.
- Alan Cox: more synchronizations
- Manfred Spraul: ptrace/suid-exec race fix
- x86 LDT handling fixes: revert some cleanups (the LDT really
doesn't act like a TLB context)
- Richard Henderson: alpha update (working memmove() from Ivan
- Manfred: winbond-840.c net driver update (fix oops on module unload etc)
- Alan Cox: more synchronizations (with some fixes from Andrew Morton)
- Marc Joosen: BIOS int15/e820 memory query: don't assume %edx
unchanged by the BIOS. Fixes at least some IBM ThinkPads.
- Alan Cox: synchronize
- Marcelo Tosatti & me: properly sync dirty pages
- Andreas Dilger: proper ext2 compat flag checking
- NIIBE Yutaka: SuperH update
- Geert Uytterhoeven: m68k update
- David Miller: TCP RTO calc fix, UDP multicast fix etc
- Duncan Laurie: ServerWorks PIRQ routing definition.
- mm PageDirty cleanups, added sanity checks, and don't lose the bit.
- Christoph Rohland: shmfs cleanup
- Nicolas Pitre: don't forget loop.c flags
- Geert Uytterhoeven: new-style m68k Makefiles
- Neil Brown: knfsd cleanups, raid5 re-org
- Andrea Arkangeli: update to LVM-0.9
- LC Chang: sis900 driver doc update
- David Miller: netfilter oops fix
- Andrew Grover: acpi update
- Christian Jullien: smc9194: proper dev_kfree_skb_irq
- Cort Dougan: new-style PowerPC Makefiles
- Andrew Morton, Petr Vandrovec: fix run_task_queue
- Christoph Rohland: shmfs for shared memory handling
- Kai Germaschewski: ISDN update (including Makefiles)
- Jens Axboe: cdrom updates
- Petr Vandrovec; Matrox G450 support
- Bill Nottingham: fix FAT32 filesystems on 64-bit platforms
- David Miller: sparc (and other) Makefile fixup
- Andrea Arkangeli: alpha SMP TLB context fix (and cleanups)
- Niels Kristian Bech Jensen: checkconfig, USB warnings
- Andrew Grover: large ACPI update
- me: drop support for old-style Makefiles entirely. Big.
- me: check b_end_io at the IO submission path
- me: fix "ptep_mkdirty()" (so that swapoff() works correctly)
- fix fault case in copy_from_user() with a constant size, where
((size & 3) == 3)
Some of the products that appear on this site are from companies from which QuinStreet receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site including, for example, the order in which they appear. QuinStreet does not include all companies or all types of products available in the marketplace.