MozillaQuest: Warning! PartitionMagic and/or BootMagic Might Not Mix with Linux
Jan 20, 2001, 23:00 (17 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Mike Angelo)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"In our January 1, 2001 article, Dual-Boot Linux & Windows
to Get the Best of Both Operating System Worlds , we recommended
using PartitionMagic and BootMagic from PowerQuest for partition
and boot management in a Linux-Windows dual-boot system.
Unfortunately however, we now must withdraw that recommendation.
Here is why."
"Partition Magic 6.0 was used to do some additional partition
re-sizing, moving, and creating operations to the system described
in the Dual-Boot article -- subsequent to publication of that
article. Prior to these partition management operations, both the
Linux and Windows boots worked fine. However, after these partition
management operations, the Linux boot no longer worked. That
strongly suggests that the partition management operations did
something that messed up the Linux boot."
"The PartitionMagic people have been notified of this
problem. However, so far they have not explained satisfactorily
what happened or how to fix it -- or why they have not been able to
explain what happened or how to fix it. Therefore, we withdraw our
recommendation to use PartitionMagic and BootMagic."
- The Register: Changing lightbulbs the Whistler, Win98 and Linux way(Dec 27, 2000)
- Linux Magazine: PartitionMagic Review: A Great Divide(Nov 25, 2000)
- VNU Net: Powerquest PartitionMagic 6.0 Review(Nov 20, 2000)
- IBM developerWorks: Partitioning in action: Moving /home - A step-by-step partition moving how-to(May 07, 2000)
- ZDNet: PartitionMagic 5.0 [Review](Apr 25, 2000)
- 32BitsOnline: Review of Partition Magic 5(Mar 16, 2000)
- InsideChinaToday: Partitionmagic To Boost Linux In China(Feb 24, 2000)
- Linuxcare: User's View: Parting Need Not Be Sorrow(Jan 11, 2000)
- BW: PowerQuest's PartitionMagic Makes Installation of Storm Linux Fast, Pain Free(Dec 13, 1999)
- PR Newswire: PowerQuest Signs Worldwide OEM Deal with Caldera Systems for OpenLinux(May 03, 1999)
- UPDATED: 32BitsOnline: Software Reviews--Partition Magic 4.0(Jan 08, 1999)