evil3D.net: NVIDIA 0.9-6 Driver Comparison, The Fix Is In!
Jan 27, 2001, 14:34 (6 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Steve 'EvilSD' Petridis)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
[ Thanks to Avatar
for this link. ]
"Whew! What week! Several hearts were broken over the new
drivers from NVIDIA when it was discovered that performance on some
systems would actually be worse instead of better. At first,
it appeared that motherboards based on VIA chipsets where the
primary problems, however even some Intel based systems were
dragging their heels."
"Since our posting of the original findings, evil3D.net has been
working with the NVIDIA people to find a solution to the problem.
And it worked! What follows are the results we came up with using
the older drivers, the new drivers without the fix, and the new
drivers with the fix in place."
"Oh yeah, I guess you might want to know what that fix is, huh?
Okay, what you need to do is edit the os-registry.c file that comes
with the NVIDIA kernel module. What we are looking for is
NVreg_SkipBiosPost. It is in a chunk of code beginning with #if 0
and ending with #endif. Change #if 0 to #if 1, and compile."
- evil3D.net: NVIDIA 0.9-6 First Look(Jan 20, 2001)
- New NVIDIA Linux Drivers 0.9-6 Available(Jan 19, 2001)
- Evil3d.net: Getting BestLinux 2000 & NVIDIA Cards Play Nice(Dec 27, 2000)
- LinuxPR: QLITech Linux Computers Adds 3DFX and Nvidia Graphics Options to Gaming Systems(Dec 22, 2000)
- CNET News.com: Nvidia buys out 3dfx graphics chip business(Dec 18, 2000)
- Duke of URL: NVidia on Linux: Interview with Nick Triantos(Oct 12, 2000)
- Tom's Hardware: New NVIDIA Detonator Drivers For Linux(Oct 03, 2000)
- Tom's Hardware: NVIDIA 3D Under Linux(Sep 09, 2000)
- LinuxPower: Configuring your Linux games for nVIDIA's XFree86 4.0 Drivers(Jul 09, 2000)
- LinuxNewbie.org: Installing NVIDIA Drivers for Mandrake(Jun 08, 2000)
- The Register: Nvidia selected for Linux based X-Box rival(May 12, 2000)