TUX 2.0 ReleasedFeb 01, 2001, 01:20 (12 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Michael K. Johnson)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 19:14:28 -0500
TUX 2.0 is now available for download at the following URL:
The TUX 2.0 release is an incremental upgrade to TUX 1.0 and keeps source-code level compatibility with user-space modules.
A number of incremental enhancements have been made:
- True zero-copy disk reads: Whereas TUX 1.0 copied files into a temporary buffer, TUX 2.0 is integrated with the page cache and thus uses zero-copy block IO.
- Generic zero-copy network writes: TUX 2.0 uses the generic zero-copy TCP framework.
- Zero-copy parsing: Where possible, TUX parses input packets directly. Even in RAM-limited situations, TUX now does full, back-to-back zero-copy I/O.
Other changes include:
- Enhanced user-space utilities and module support.
- Mass virtual hosting support. The host-based virtual server patch has been added to TUX. There is no limit on the number of virtual hosts supported, only RAM and diskspace.
- CGIs can be bound to particular CPUs or can be left unbound.
- A number of bugs were fixed which caused performance problems - TUX 2.0 is now significantly faster than TUX 1.0!
Those interested in TUX usage or development are welcome, if they have not already done so, to join the TUX mailing list at:
You can subscribe using the command:
echo subscribe | mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Or you can use the web interface at
Thanks for your interest,
-- Ingo and Michael