Byte.com: Servers: Linux 2.4 versus FreeBSD 4.1.1
Feb 05, 2001, 20:56 (42 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Moshe Bar)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
[ Thanks to Moshe Bar
for this link. ]
"Now that we finally have the new 2.4 Linux kernel, many
penguinistas are sure the FreeBSD cousins will finally stop making
fun of them. They had been doing so for a while because,
admittedly, FreeBSD has had superior kernel design in areas like
virtual memory manager (VM) and networking."
"In fact, some of the world's busiest websites, such as Yahoo
and cdrom.com, are relying on FreeBSD to manage the huge load their
servers endure day in and day out...."
"Linux 2.4.0 is available for no money. So is FreeBSD. Linux
uses advanced hardware, so does FreeBSD. FreeBSD is more stable and
faster than Linux, in my opinion. We penguinistas sometimes believe
we are having more fun than anybody. But then I lean over the fence
and discover the FreeBSD folks are having a hell of a party, too.
And their OS is as fast as I have seen."
- Linuxiso.org: Book Review: The FreeBSD Corporate Networker's Guide(Feb 04, 2001)
- Linux kernel 2.4.1 is out [Updated - files changes now available](Jan 31, 2001)
- Linux.com: Kernel 2.4 Ascends the Desktop(Jan 30, 2001)
- eWeek: Torvalds looks beyond 2.4(Jan 30, 2001)
- webTechniques: Is FreeBSD a Superior Server Platform to Linux?
(Dec 18, 2000)
- BSD Today: Interview with BSDi on proactive BSD/OS security(Dec 14, 2000)
- Duke of URL: FreeBSD 4.2 Review(Dec 10, 2000)
- ZDNet: BSD to leapfrog Linux?(Nov 30, 2000)
- NetworkWorld: Beyond Windows and Linux: Discovering the BSDs(Nov 23, 2000)
- O'Reilly Net: BSD Tricks: Linux Compatibility, the Hard Way
(Nov 19, 2000)
- osOpinion: Dancing with the Devil: FreeBSD 4.1(Oct 11, 2000)
- ZDNet: BSD System Takes On Linux(Sep 26, 2000)
- BSD Today: Installing NetBSD from the Linux perspective(Jul 17, 2000)
- LinuxMall.com: Ask Linus: Why Use Linux Instead of FreeBSD?(Jun 27, 2000)
- SF Gate: ...FreeBSD is a relatively unknown operating system playing big role on Internet(May 29, 2000)