Gamespy.com: Is Linux Gaming here to stay?
Mar 04, 2001, 15:37 (13 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by James Hills)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"In the past few months, it looked as though trouble was brewing
over at Loki. The port Alpha Centauri, despite the rumors
that it was gold or very near gold, has not shipped, the beta
testing for Tribes 2 paused apparently indefinitely while
they waited for the Windows version, and some of their more
talented programmers moved on to positions at other companies.
Additionally, despite the fact that Loki had attended past Linux
World Expos, they were absent this year."
"To add to this flood of negative news recently, Three Axis, the
developers working on the Linux port of Nanosaur, announced that
they were scaling back because of lack of funding. Also, those of
you who have visited your local game stores may have noticed that
many other titles, such as Hyperion Entertainment's ports of
Sin, and Shogo: MAD, as well as Tribsoft's port
of Jagged Alliance 2, have, "gone gold", yet have failed
to hit the retail shelves."
"Even Indrema, one of the potentially brighter stars of the
Linux gaming market has delayed the release of their console, and
is now possibly going to be released this fall."
"All these points would lead a casual gamer to believe that
perhaps Linux gaming is dead or dying. In fact, for a brief time, I
was beginning to adopt this opinion as well. So I took a long hard
look at who and what is driving Linux gaming, why it hasn't worked
so far, and what can be done to remedy the situation."
- Linux Orbit: Soldier of Fortune: Gold, Guts, and Glory [Game Review](Feb 15, 2001)
- Duke Of URL: Unreal Tournament: Game of the Year Edition [Review](Feb 03, 2001)
- Community: Xpilot: Game of the future.(Jan 07, 2001)
- LinuxFocus.org: Game Review - Tux Racer(Jan 06, 2001)
- Linux.com: Ramblings on Linux Games(Jan 03, 2001)
- wine-devel: TransGaming DirectX Release [DirectX for WINE](Dec 30, 2000)
- LinuxWorld: MindRover comes to Linux - CogniToy takes a different approach to strategy games(Dec 28, 2000)
- Canada Computes: Open Source Linux Games Roundup
(Dec 26, 2000)
- Gamesmania: Heavy Gear II for Linux Review(Dec 24, 2000)
- LinuxWorld: Linux fun for the holidays
(Dec 19, 2000)
- Gamesmania.com: Loki's Soldier of Fortune for Linux [Review](Nov 12, 2000)
- LinuxGames.com: A New Generation of 3D Gaming in Linux(Oct 08, 2000)
- LinuxGames: Loki Porting Tribes 2(Sep 30, 2000)
- GameSpy.com: Linux Gaming(Aug 31, 2000)
- Canada Computes: Linux Games: An Open Letter to the Gaming Software Industry: Part 1(Aug 28, 2000)