TechWeb: Ballmer: IBM's Bet On Linux Won't Carry The Day
Mar 21, 2001, 06:36 (103 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Kelley Damore)
No-Size-Fits-All! An Application-Down Approach for Your Cloud Transformation REGISTER >
"Microsoft Corp. CEO Steve Ballmer says IBM Corp.'s $1 billion
investment in Linux would not allow the rival operating system to
win the day."
"When asked what he thought of IBM's huge investment in Linux,
Ballmer said, "It will have an impact, but Linux is a toy. By IBM
supporting Linux well then it is not a toy. But does that mean IBM
and Linux will carry the day? No way."
"IBM has not participated in the modern software revolution,"
added Ballmer, noting that software innovation is not going to be
driven by IBM's investment in Linux. "Who are you going to bet
on-Microsoft or IBM? I'll take that bet any day."
- Windows2000 Magazine: Ballmer Hints at Moves to Palm OS, Linux(Mar 07, 2001)
- eWeek: Stop, you're killing me! MS's Allchin's remarks as stand-up comedy(Feb 26, 2001)
- Australian IT: IBM promotes Linux for the enterprise market(Feb 20, 2001)
- SJ Mercury: Ballmer vents on friends and foes - calls Linux "crummy"(Feb 09, 2001)
- eWeek: Ballmer: 'We're now in full motion' - MS initiatives to attack Linux on all fronts(Feb 07, 2001)
- InfoWorld: IBM to spend $300 million more on Linux - beyond the $1 billion already announced(Jan 31, 2001)
- CRN: Ballmer Calls Linux Top Threat To Windows(Jan 10, 2001)
- IT-Director: Enterprise Linux; 2.4 kernel plus IBM backing leave little doubt(Jan 09, 2001)
- Ch@nnelWeb: Gerstner: IBM To Place Billion-Dollar Bet Linux Could Overtake NT(Dec 13, 2000)
- CNET News.com: IBM to spend $1 billion on Linux in 2001(Dec 12, 2000)
- The Register: MS' Ballmer: Linux is communism(Jul 31, 2000)
- TechWeb: IBM Completes Linux Picture(Jun 13, 2000)
- ZDNN: IBM's revenge: A dish best served cold(Jun 10, 1999)