LinuxPlanet: .comment: What Are We Shooting For, Anyway?
Mar 22, 2001, 08:58 (62 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Dennis E. Powell)
No-Size-Fits-All! An Application-Down Approach for Your Cloud Transformation REGISTER >
"Today, a decade into Linux, there are millions of Linux users
who, by their very use of Linux, are able to look down upon the
owners of machines running the commercial operating system. Lusers,
we call them, and with considerable justification. Appliance
owners. We have sympathy for those who embraced the previous noble
attempts, the Amiga owners, the OS/2 users. It wasn't their fault,
so our hearts are open, but to us they're lusers, too."
"We're unstoppable. We can thumb our noses at everyone. We can
taunt them a second time.
"And if we believe that. we're fooling ourselves. Yes, Linux has
grown in wonderful and unexpected ways, and has become the
tremendously competent operating system that no one expected. But
step back and take a look."
- Enterprise Linux Today: Take a Letter, Rex! Applixware is Coming to System/390 Linux(Mar 19, 2001)
- LinuxPlanet: Review: Nautilus 1.0: Has Eazel Earned Its Place in GNOME?
(Mar 16, 2001)
- Applix sells off Vistasource, Applixware Office, Anywhere Office, and Cosource(Mar 15, 2001)
- LinuxPlanet: .comment: A Whole New Desktop with Anti-Aliasing(Mar 15, 2001)
- EnterpriseLinuxToday: One For All, and All For One? Linux in the Enterprise Space(Mar 14, 2001)
- LinuxPlanet: Running Windows Apps on Linux: Put Away the WINE(Mar 12, 2001)
- Linux Orbit: 5 Faces Changing the Linux Desktop, Part 1 of 5: Shawn Gordon, theKompany(Mar 11, 2001)
- LinuxPR: New KDE Desktop Ready for the Enterprise
(Feb 27, 2001)
- Advogato: Thoughts on the world of GUI's(Feb 18, 2001)
- ZDNet UK: AnchorDesk UK: Why Linux kicks Windows all over the desktop(Feb 15, 2001)
- LinuxPlanet: Lou's Views: KDE vs. Ximian(Feb 13, 2001)
- LinuxPlanet: Red Blood in the Emergency Room, Red Carpet on the Way
(Feb 09, 2001)
- eWeek: Assessing Linux's progress on the desktop(Feb 08, 2001)
- LinuxWorld: It's the desktop, stupid - Lose sight of the desktop and risk losing the server, as well(Feb 04, 2001)
- LinuxPR: New Beta KDE Release for Linux Desktop Ships
(Jan 31, 2001)
- Linux Magazine: The Future of Linux(Jan 27, 2001)
- TheDeal.com: Corel to sell off Linux assets(Jan 24, 2001)
- Lou's Views: Converging on a Linux Desktop? Part II(Dec 28, 2000)