The Register: Be getting ready to open source BeOS?
Mar 29, 2001, 17:32 (22 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Tony Smith)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
"Is Be planning to release its BeOS operating system to the
open source community? It's something it has discussed in the past
but never come down on the issue one way or the other."
"Until recently, perhaps. Be has registered the domain name
openbeos.com (and .org and .net) - and thanks to Register reader
Jim for alerting us to the fact."
"Now to be fair, Be registered the domains way back last
September, so it looks like the registrations are more a
preparatory move than a statement of intent, but it certainly
suggests that the company is coming round to that way of
- BeNews: Exclusive Preview: QNX RtP(Aug 30, 2000)
- PC World: Be Says Its OS Is Booming(May 10, 2000)
- ZDNet: BeOS 5.0 is maturing nicely(May 03, 2000)
- Byte.com: The Case For BeOS On Internet Appliances(May 02, 2000)
- WebReference.com: BeOS 5 Bounds onto the Scene(Apr 24, 2000)
- Upside: Be Inc. stumbles with open-source crowd [over GPL violation](Apr 23, 2000)
- Technocrat.net: BeOS Boo-Boo: GPL violated, They'll Fix It.(Apr 19, 2000)
- Byte.com: Open The Floodgates -- BeOS 5 Is Here(Apr 04, 2000)
- Be.com: Be Opens Source Code to Desktop Interface of BeOS 5(Mar 29, 2000)
- PC Week: Be sheds more light on OS update(Mar 21, 2000)