UPDATED: GNOME 1.4 Release Delayed, Expected Ready by Day's End
Apr 03, 2001, 11:03 (29 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Michael Hall)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
Note: Since this story first appeared, the GNOME release
team made another release announcement stating that contrary to Ms.
Proctor's assertion below, Medusa was, indeed, left out of this
By Michael Hall,
Despite a false start caused by a bug in a portion of Nautilus, the GNOME 1.4 release
scheduled for today will go forward as planned, according to a
GNOME Foundation spokesperson.
Jacob Berkman, one of five GNOME release managers, said a
problem with Medusa, a key part of Nautilus, was warranted serious
enough to push the release back. Nautilus is the new file manager
provided by Eazel and is considered a centerpiece of GNOME 1.4.
Medusa is responsible for indexing the user's hard drive to speed
locating files on a system. According to Berkman, the bug in Medusa
caused it to leak file descriptors, integers that identify an open
file within a process. Developers at Eazel were unwilling to
comment further on the nature of the problem.
One option the project faced was removal of Medusa from the
release in order to keep to the release timetable. After a few
hours delay, release managers for the GNOME project decided to
await a fix for the problem in question, described by GNOME
Foundation spokesperson Leslie Proctor as a "minor snag." According
to Proctor, the project will begin propagating shortly and should
be ready for download later today.
- GNOME 1.4 Released(Apr 02, 2001)
- LinuxPlanet: gnotebook: Nautilus Revisited: Unhappy Users Make All the Wrong Demands
(Mar 24, 2001)
- GNOME 1.4 Release Candidate 1 "Entropy" Available(Mar 21, 2001)
- LinuxPlanet: Review: Nautilus 1.0: Has Eazel Earned Its Place in GNOME?
(Mar 16, 2001)
- Eazel, creator of the Nautilus file manager, lays off 40 employees(Mar 14, 2001)
- GNOME File Manager Nautilus 1.0 Is Out(Mar 14, 2001)
- GNOME 1.4 Beta 2 is Out(Mar 01, 2001)
- GNOME 1.4 Beta 1 is released(Feb 18, 2001)
- LinuxPlanet: Conflicts of Interest: Plans for Nautilus and Evolution(Feb 16, 2001)
- Jacob Berkman: GNOME 1.4 Update(Feb 14, 2001)
- GNOME 1.4 Release Projected for Late March(Jan 25, 2001)