ZDNet/Yahoo!: Am I a Microsoft lackey or what?
Apr 26, 2001, 17:08 (52 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by David Coursey)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
Well, here's an interesting question we'd suspect many could
answer very quickly. The issue is, would the thundering
affirmations be correct? When approaching Microsoft, two favorite
labels when addressing its apologists are "FUD" and "astroturf,"
which don't address how to deal with reporters who might honestly
be trying to call it like they see it. A ZDNet columnist responds
to readers "who take the position that anything bad for Microsoft
is good for computing. "
"My responsibility, according to them, is to comfort the
afflicted and afflict the comfortable--beat up on Microsoft and
laud competitors, whether their products are better or not."
"That is a lofty journalistic idea, but I also give Microsoft
credit when I feel it's due, and that upsets some people. I'm not
pro-Microsoft nearly as much as I'm pro-user. And Microsoft--if
only by its sheer size and dominance--has made life easier for
"Remember when the productivity suite companies--Lotus,
WordPerfect, and Microsoft--were spending their time building file
formats and user interfaces so different from one another that you
couldn't easily swap files or go to a friend's computer and use the
software on it? That was certainly competitive--hypercompetitive,
even. But did it serve customers?"
- Linux FUD: Who Cares? The Linux FAQ Maintainer Speaks(Feb 11, 2001)
- LinuxWorld: LinuxWorld Expo refutes the FUD - Reports of Linux's demise have been greatly exaggerated(Feb 08, 2001)
- ZDNet: From FUD to trash talk - The gloves are off as Redmond starts revving its hype machine to attack Linux(Feb 07, 2001)
- 32BitsOnline: Looking for FUD in all the Right Places(Oct 12, 2000)
- Motley Fool/Yahoo!: Don't Dismiss Negative Sentiment [the overuse of 'FUD'](Sep 04, 2000)
- eWeek: Redmond has already lost 'fud' factor(Jun 14, 2000)
- LinuxPlanet: All This Useless Beauty - FUD From ZDNet: What a Surprise!(May 02, 2000)
- Linux Today Counter-FUD Work Reveals 'World Domination' in Progress(Dec 02, 1999)
- EXT2: Windows NT: A Reality Check(Oct 11, 1999)
- ZDNet: The post-FUD era has begun(Aug 03, 1999)
- Is NT faster than Linux or it is only FUD? (Indonesian article)(Apr 22, 1999)