dot.KDE.org: KDE Kiosk Mode HOWTO
Aug 14, 2001, 18:26 (1 Talkback[s])
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"After two years of working with KDE, we think it is
now time to share the results of our efforts to create a restricted
KDE as part of our Linux-based thin client project that is now
nearing completion. A write-up of our design and strategy is
available as well as the patches that we used to customize KDE to
In a restricted desktop (kiosk-mode), the goal is to prevent the
- opening a shell,
- running arbitrary commands,
- modifying files directly, or,
- having a view to the filesystem.
the user can:
- run applications provided by the administrators, and,
- configure the desktop to a certain degree."