LinuxPlanet: .comment: We're Getting There!
Aug 15, 2001, 13:00 (69 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Dennis E. Powell)
WEBINAR: On-demand webcast
How to Boost Database Development Productivity on Linux, Docker, and Kubernetes with Microsoft SQL Server 2017 REGISTER >
"There is, actually, a common thread in all of this
(well, except for the tornado part, but hey -- how often do you get
to survive a tornado? Damn straight I'm going to talk about it):
Linux is ready. More than ready.
Microsoft Corporation is fixing to release a new version of
Windows, called Windows XP. It builds upon and extends Microsoft
Corporation's tradition of deciding what's good for you. This
includes occasional communication with the mother ship in Redmond,
Washington. Anyone with a brain equal to or greater than the size
of a pea recognizes the potential for abuse this entails, and
anyone who has been paying the slightest bit of attention has no
doubt that Microsoft Corporation will capitalize on it. They are
very bad guys.
This fact, along with the .NET crap, will not go unnoticed.
People will be looking for alternatives. (Well, the sheeplike
dimwits won't, but sheep are meant to be fleeced, no?) (And until
AbiWord admits "dimwits" into its dictionary, it KWord will remain
my Linux word processor of choice. Then again, AbiWord thinks
"AbiWord" is a misspelling.)"
- BBC News: To upgrade or not to upgrade [and whether to choose Linux or WinXP](Aug 14, 2001)
- LinuxPlanet: .comment: The Great, the Pretty Bad, and the Breathtakingly Stupid(Aug 08, 2001)
- I, Cringely: The Death of TCP/IP(Aug 03, 2001)
- LinuxPlanet: .comment: The Weakest Link(Jul 25, 2001)
- LinuxPlanet: .comment: The Desktop? The Desktop!(Jul 19, 2001)
- Two on the Desktop: "A Linux Desktop is on the Way" and "Revenge of the Dead Desktop"
(Jul 12, 2001)
- LinuxPlanet: .comment: Separated By a Common Operating System(Jun 27, 2001)
- DukeOfURL: Who Says Linux is Dead? (a pair of editorials on the
(Jun 22, 2001)
- Three on the Desktop: Linux Myths 101 and Desktop Convergence by December.(Jun 14, 2001)