From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: ANNOUNCE: GNU Midnight Commander 4.5.55
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 11:45:11 -0400 (EDT)
GNU Midnight Commander 4.5.55 has been released.
Development of the GNOME frontend will continue on the stable branch only:
"Branch_MC_4_5_x". All GNOME support will be removed from the head branch
in the next few days.
- Mostly bugfixes and portability fixes. Making things work as they
were meant to work.
- Text edition improvements.
- Ctrl-O supported in the viewer and editor.
- Better terminal support. Should not need "Learn Keys" on rxvt
and xterm in most cases.
- GNOME edition improvements.
- Find dialog rewritten.
- Editor and viewer ask whether to save modified file when
closed from window manager.
- New syntax rules - S-Lang, PO files, Octave.
- Alt-B goes to matching bracket.
- Portability improvements.
- Should compile out-of-box on Cygwin and QNX Neutrino.
- Can be compiled by BSD make.
- Subshell and VFS code are safer and more portable.
- Experimental features (disabled by default).
- Charset conversion support.
- Large (64-bit) file support on 32-bit systems.
The source tarball is currently available here:
Note that the final location will be
Any help with moving the tarball to the final location (or giving me
access to do so) will be appreciated.
Some of the products that appear on this site are from companies from which QuinStreet receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site including, for example, the order in which they appear. QuinStreet does not include all companies or all types of products available in the marketplace.