GNU Midnight Commander 4.5.55 Released
Aug 24, 2001, 17:35 (14 Talkback[s])
How to Help Your Business Become an AI Early Adopter
From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: ANNOUNCE: GNU Midnight Commander 4.5.55
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 11:45:11 -0400 (EDT)
GNU Midnight Commander 4.5.55 has been released.
Development of the GNOME frontend will continue on the stable branch only:
"Branch_MC_4_5_x". All GNOME support will be removed from the head branch
in the next few days.
- Mostly bugfixes and portability fixes. Making things work as they
were meant to work.
- Text edition improvements.
- Ctrl-O supported in the viewer and editor.
- Better terminal support. Should not need "Learn Keys" on rxvt
and xterm in most cases.
- GNOME edition improvements.
- Find dialog rewritten.
- Editor and viewer ask whether to save modified file when
closed from window manager.
- New syntax rules - S-Lang, PO files, Octave.
- Alt-B goes to matching bracket.
- Portability improvements.
- Should compile out-of-box on Cygwin and QNX Neutrino.
- Can be compiled by BSD make.
- Subshell and VFS code are safer and more portable.
- Experimental features (disabled by default).
- Charset conversion support.
- Large (64-bit) file support on 32-bit systems.
The source tarball is currently available here:
Note that the final location will be
Any help with moving the tarball to the final location (or giving me
access to do so) will be appreciated.