SearchWin2000.com: Running Windows applications on Linux
Oct 03, 2001, 14:15 (5 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Krissi Danielsson)
[ Thanks to Jan
Stafford for this link. ]
"IT managers who want to switch to Linux often butt
heads with users who can't stand to part with Microsoft Office.
While managers and their companies like the low cost and stability
of the Linux operating system, the lack of popular and
well-developed applications is a major sticking point. Yet, a
solution does exist, says Jim Graham, CTO of CodeWeavers, Inc.,
based in St. Paul, MN. By running Windows emulators, companies can
benefit from Linux while still being able to use their favorite
Windows applications. In this interview with
searchWindowsManageability, Graham describes the pros and cons of
the three major options for running Windows apps on Linux.
searchWindowsManageability: Why do companies
want to run Windows applications on Linux?
Graham: They may rely on a lot of application
software that doesn't exist on Linux. They may have application
software that they've written specifically for Windows. One of the
biggest things that a lot of people need is the stability of Linux.
It's a very easily maintained and stable operating system. The
second biggest strength is the cost of the Linux operating system,
as it can be deployed throughout your entire organization for the
price of a CD.
searchWindowsManageability: What technical
issues might come up when running Windows apps on Linux?"
- VNUNet.com: Linux experts wine over virus
(Sep 25, 2001)
- ZDNet: Windows and Linux: in perfect harmony(Aug 29, 2001)
- CodeWeavers CrossOver Plugin Enables Display Of Windows
Browser Plugins, MS Office Files In Linux(Aug 28, 2001)
- CodeWeavers Releases New Wine Application Database(Jun 20, 2001)
- osOpinion: Putting a Bad API on a Good OS(Jun 16, 2001)
- GameSpy.com: Ports vs. Wine(May 09, 2001)
- NewsForge: TransGaming puts DirectX in Wine(Apr 28, 2001)
- Gamespy.com: Interview with CEO Gavriel State of Transgaming Technologies(Mar 25, 2001)
- LinuxPlanet: Review: MusicMatch Serves Up Tunes for Linux
(Mar 16, 2001)
- LinuxPlanet: Running Windows Apps on Linux: Put Away the WINE(Mar 12, 2001)