NZ PC World: Learning to love the penguin (I used nothing but Linux for a month. Cold turkey.)
Oct 08, 2001, 23:34 (29 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Geoff Palmer)
No-Size-Fits-All! An Application-Down Approach for Your Cloud Transformation REGISTER >
[ Thanks to Bill
Greenwood for this link. ]
"To celebrate the release of the all-singing,
all-dancing, all-invasive, almost-all-proprietary Windows XP later
this month, I decided to install Linux. This was more than just an
installation exercise. What I actually set out to do was use
nothing but Linux for a month. Whoa, heavy! It's one thing to throw
it on your system from a magazine cover disk, tinker about a
little, then reboot to Windows. It's quite another to go cold
Suddenly I was a newbie again. Some of the most basic things ?
like cutting and pasting between applications ? are just different.
You see, I've been on "W" a long time ? 10 years or so. There's not
a lot I don't know about it. Hell, I can even remember version two.
I've seen more crashes than a stockcar promoter and I've survived
with, well, most of my sanity intact.
But once I'd given myself time to explore this strange new world
and sort out my personal preferences from the vast array of
configuration options and applications on offer, once I'd set up my
email accounts and address books, once I'd discovered Opera has a
Linux incarnation (oh bliss!), once I'd got Seti running in the
background and tweaked StarOffice so it was just the way I like it,
it didn't seem so strange at all."
- Chicago Sun-Times: Test drive Linux using friendly tryout software(Jul 05, 2001)
- Question of the Day: A Tiered Linux Distro for Newbies?(Jun 03, 2001)
- LinuxNewbie.org: A letter to operating system designers(May 14, 2001)
- LittleWhiteDog.com: Installing Mandrake8.0: A Newbie's Guide to Freedom(May 12, 2001)
- Canada Computes: Linux for Newbies, pt. 21: Linux/Windows Coexistence(Mar 27, 2001)
- Evil3d.net: Three Clicks To Linux (Review of MaxOS Linux)(Mar 20, 2001)
- LinuxPlanet: .comment: So You Think You Want to Use Linux(Jan 10, 2001)
- LinuxNewbie.org: Hello there, I am a Newbie(Dec 21, 2000)
- LinuxNewbie.org: The beginnings of a distro NHF(Sep 25, 2000)