LinuxPlanet: The StartX Files: Word to the Wise: Writer 638C
Oct 20, 2001, 07:51 (15 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Brian Proffitt)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"...Early observers of OpenOffice might remember that
many of the features from StarOffice 5.2 were cut out of the first
builds of OpenOffice, such as the Help system and spell checking.
This was done because these tools were initially third-party
applications. The Help system has been completely revamped and,
while the interface is identical to StarOffice 6.0's, it seems that
build 638 of OpenOffice has slightly more help entries than than
its counterpart. Spell-checking, in case you were wondering, is
back as well.
As you can see in the screenshot I took for this column, the
interfaces are almost identical for StarOffice and OpenOffice. But
there is one significant difference: font-handling. In this,
OpenOffice appears to lag behind just a bit. In the screenshot, I
have opened a Word document that deliberately has fonts not loaded
yet on my Linux machine. While both interfaces give the Courier
font a "scrunched" look, StarOffice seems to handle the nonnative
font a little bit better. Also, if you look closely at the
application's own fonts, OpenOffice's menu and window contents have
a jagged look.
Is this enough to kill off any chance of using this application?
Certainly not. In fact, based on what I have seen with these two
applications, I am more inclined to recommend OpenOffice over
StarOffice, especially for home and small business users."
- Linux Weekly News for October 11, 2001(Oct 11, 2001)
- Building OpenOffice For Debian mini-HOWTO
(Oct 10, 2001)
- ZDNet/Yahoo!: StarOffice offers IT real choice
(Oct 09, 2001)
- LinuxPlanet: The StartX Files: Word to the Wise: StarOffice 6 Beta(Oct 08, 2001)
- LinuxWorld: A first look at StarOffice 6.0 beta
(Oct 05, 2001)
- LinuxOrbit: StarOffice 6.0 Beta - Out of the (Cyber) Box Experience
(Oct 05, 2001)
- LinuxMedNews First Looks: StarOffice 6.0 Beta(Oct 03, 2001)
- SolarisGuide: Sun Releases StarOffice 6 Beta(Oct 02, 2001)
- CNET: Is StarOffice for everyone? (Sun Speaks on StarOffice vs. MS Office)
(Sep 21, 2001)