Subject: Gnumeric 0.72
From: Jody Goldberg
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 00:10:22 -0400
Gnumeric 0.72 aka 'oooh yummy eye candy' is now available.
This is primarily bug fixes as we prepare for a production ready release
before the end of the year. Graphs require Guppi 0.40.0. In addition to
the plethora of small improvements we threw in a few extras to make it fun.
Morten's improved search console is very nice, and thanks to Andreas range
selection and non-modal dialogs are now outnumber the old ones. We now
support auto-scrolling during object creation which makes all mouse actions
Chema and his army of evil monkeys have been kicking the tires trying to
make things fail. Please give him a hand. We always prefer to find the
bugs BEFORE we release :-)
Here's a tiny taste of what guppi has to offer.
* New features
* New Search Control Centre. (Morten)
* Bug fixes, Polishing & Optimisations
* Improve latex exporter. (Adrian Custer)
* More work on validation. (Almer)
* STF multiple-separators-as-one fix. (Almer)
* Remaining analysis tools support range-selection (Andreas)
* Fix sampling tool (Andreas)
* Fix colour selectors for drawing objects. (Jody)
* Re-enable support for row vectors in graphs. (Jody)
* Allow string functions to accept numbers as strings. (Jody)
* Improve Font selector in cell format dialog (Jody)
* Off by 1 error when undoing unhiding cols/rows (Jody)
* Improve handling of Cancel during File -> Quit (Jody)
* Auto-scroll support during object creation (Jody)
* Fix MINVERSE (Jody)
* CODE assumes unsigned char (Jody)
* Improve handling of integers larger than int. (Jody)
* Improve cursor & scroll bounds checking. (Jody)
* Fix graph memory leaks. (Morten, Jody)
* Allow xls exporter to handle large format regions. (Jody)
* Fix changing data for graphs (Jody)
* Don't assume Format match is only numbers. (Jody)
* Improve XL chart import. (Jody)
* Plug memory leaks. (Jody)
* Make bonobo optional in the sample rpm specfile. (John Gotts)
* Improved COUPDAYS() and COUPDAYBS(). (Jukka)
* Testing and Quality control. (Chema)
* ru (Valek Filippov), sk (Stanislav Visnovsky), sv (Christian Rose),
da (Ole Laursen), nn (Roy-Magne Mo)
Subject: Guppi 0.40.0 Released: Adds Graphing Capability to Gnumeric
From: Jon Trowbridge
Date: 18 Oct 2001 23:31:09 -0400
Your Guppi development team is pleased to announce the release of
Guppi 0.40.0, code name "Wild Yipes of Joy Were Heard in Stockholm".
Guppi is a GNOME-based framework for graphing and interactive data
A lot has happened since our last release five months ago:
- This is the first version of Guppi to support graphs
"out of the box" in production builds of Gnumeric.
- We've also cleaned house. Lots of experimental or
not-fully-realized features have been stripped out, and
substantial chunks of the code have been refactored.
There are our flimsy justifications for jumping to a new, rounder,
happier version number.
Thanks to Jody Goldberg, Rob Browning, Adrian Custer, Chris Lyttle,
and all of the other Friends Of Guppi who have helped with this
You can get the Guppi 0.40.0 tarball here:
RPMs and debs will hopefully be available soon.
Visit http://www.gnome.org/projects/guppi to learn more about
Guppi basically requires a complete and fairly up-to-date
GNOME installation, such as Ximian GNOME. You will need to
have (among other things)
- bonobo 1.0.8
- gnome-print 0.28
- some version of guile (1.3 through 1.6)
To use Guppi to insert graphs into your Gnumeric
spreadsheets, you need to have Gnumeric 0.72 (or better) with
Bonobo support installed before compiling Guppi.
The simple stand-alone application that was distributed
with previous versions of Guppi has been deprecated. It was
never very good or very featureful. It will be totally
re-written and will return after we port to GNOME 2.0.
It is worth noting that Guppi is still EXPERIMENTAL
software, and support for graphs in Gnumeric is still VERY
INCOMPLETE. Feedback and bug reports are always welcome, but
you don't need to tell us that lots of features are missing:
We already know that.