From: Daniel Veillard
Subject: Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting December 6 2001
Date: 08 Dec 2001 04:38:07 -0500
Minutes of the GNOME Board meeting December 6 2001
Havoc Pennington (chairing)
Daniel Veillard (minutes)
Miguel de Icaza
- this was the first teleconference of the new board
- it ran for twice as long as usual meeting to start the
work in the new group.
- Deciding normal time/frequency of board meetings
- GUADEC III is expected to take place in Seville, Spain, 4-6th of April 2002
- The new board thanks the people who served on the board last year and the
Election Committee who ran the election this year
- Investigating moving to ssh for GNOME CVS authentication if feasible
ACTION: Tim to organize a confcall with the Guadec 3 organizers in Spain
Dan and Havoc will join the call
=> Done, with Dan, Havoc, Leslie and the core of the local organizing
comitee met on the phone
ACTION: Tim to get the membership logos on the foundation page
=> in progress.
ACTION: Tim, John and Havoc to get a draft statement on the relation
with the free software and license policy.
=> Tim and Havoc will continue
ACTION: Tim to work on the Trademark registration for "GNOME" and the foot.
=> in progress
ACTION: Jim to restart the font discussions with various parties
=> in progress
ACTION: Havoc to fix the board list to reflect the new group
ACTION: Nat to solve the arrangement for the teleconferences
ACTION: Nat and Jonathan talk to gnome-sysadmin about adding ssh
tunelling for GNOME ssh access
- approve last meeting minutes:
The people present on the last board meeting think they are accurate.
- The current board thanks the previous board members for serving
the foundation during the last year.
- The board also thanks the Election Committee for a job well done,
the election process was clear and proceeded smoothly.
- Outline how the board has been working so far:
10 first minutes discussing the current situation
Check the state of the log of actions + approval of previous meeting minutes
Agenda + chair + minute and try to keep on topic
Try to work by consensus
Meetings were every 2 weeks, one hour each
If someone misses the call, they should send regrets to the board list and
this will be recorded
- Briefing on some of the recent/pending issues we've been dealing with
extend the list:
- incorporation process:
Tim explained the current state of the incorporation. Currently
+ tax exemption status
+ trademarking the GNOME Foot and the "GNOME" name
+ Licensing and Copyright policies
- Marketing Working Group: started by Leslie Proctor with representative
from Gnome companies, includes a plan about shows and releases
Jim Gettys explained the status of the efforts done to get freely
The goal is to solve the font installation problem in general (i.e.
for all free XWindow desktops)
- Work out when to have future meetings
Tuesday every weeks for an hour for the next month and probably back to
a meeting every 2 weeks thereafter.
- GUADEC 3:
Tentatively the next GUADEC will take place in Seville, 4-6th of April 2002
- Moving to ssh for GNOME CVS authentication
pserver is not secure, the board think it's a good idea to try to use
ssh assuming the sysadmin team thinks it's doable/maintainable.
- Who wants to chair/secretary the next meetings
Havoc and Daniel will repectively chair and take minutes for the next month,
officers will be elected within the board in January or early next year.
- Next meeting next Tuesday 11 December
Daniel Veillard | Red Hat Network https://email@example.com | libxml Gnome XML XSLT toolkit http://xmlsoft.org/http://veillard.com/ | Rpmfind RPM search engine http://rpmfind.net/