Release Digest: GNU, June 9, 2002
Jun 10, 2002, 05:00 (0 Talkback[s])
How to Help Your Business Become an AI Early Adopter
Version 4.1 of the GNU Multiple Precision Arithmetic Library (GMP) has
been released. The source code is available from
Many sites around the world mirror ftp ftp.gnu.org, please use one near
you. See http://www.gnu.org/order/ftp.html for a full list.
The GMP home page is
Please send bug reports and comments to email@example.com.
GMP 4.1 was finished and released by Torbjörn Granlund and Kevin Ryde.
See the GMP manual included in the sources for a complete list of
Changes between MP version 4.0.1 and 4.1
* Bug fixes.
* Speed improvements.
* Upwardly binary compatible with 4.0, 4.0.1, and 3.x versions.
* Asymptotically fast conversion to/from strings (mpz, mpq, mpn levels), but
also major speed improvements for tiny operands.
* mpn_get_str parameter restrictions relaxed.
* Major speed improvments for HPPA 2.0 systems.
* Major speed improvments for UltraSPARC systems.
* Major speed improvments for IA-64 systems (but still sub-optimal code).
* Extended test suite.
* mpfr is back, with many bug fixes and portability improvements.
* New function: mpz_ui_sub.
* New functions: mpz_export, mpz_import.
* Optimization for nth root functions (mpz_root, mpzperfectpower_p).
* Optimization for extended gcd (mpz_gcdext, mpz_invert, mpn_gcdext).
* Generalized low-level number format, reserving a `nails' part of each
limb. (Please note that this is really experimental; some functions
are likely to compute garbage when nails are enabled.)
* Nails-enabled Alpha 21264 assembly code, allowing up to 75% better
performance. (Use --enable-nails=4 to enable it.)