Release Digest: GNU, September 27, 2002
Sep 27, 2002, 23:30 (0 Talkback[s])
WEBINAR: On-demand webcast
How to Boost Database Development Productivity on Linux, Docker, and Kubernetes with Microsoft SQL Server 2017 REGISTER >
We're pleased to announce the release of Automake 1.7. This release
contains many bug fixes and improvements. The NEWS entry is appended.
Automake is a program for generating `Makefile.in' files from simpler
input files called `Makefile.am'. The resulting `Makefile.in's
conform to the GNU Coding Standards, and must be used in conjunction
You can find the new release here:
Soon it will also appear on the GNU mirrors listed here:
Please report bugs by mail to , or (preferred)
- Akim, Alexandre, and Tom
New in 1.7:
* Autoconf 2.54 is required.
* `aclocal' and `automake' will no longer warn about obsolete
configure macros. This is done by `autoconf -Wobsolete'.
* AM_CONFIGHEADER, AM_SYSPOSIX_TERMIOS and
AM_HEADERTIOCGWINSZ_NEEDSSYS_IOCTL are obsolete (although still
supported). You should use AC_CONFIGHEADERS, AC_SYSPOSIX_TERMIOS,
and AC_HEADER_TIOCGWINSZ instead. `autoupdate' can upgrade
`configure.ac' for you.
* Support for per-program and per-library `_CPPFLAGS'.
* New `ctags' target (builds CTAGS files).
* Support for -Wmumble and -Wno-mumble, where mumble is a warning category
(see `automake --help' or the manual for a list of them).
* Honor the WARNINGS environment variable.
* Omit the call to depcomp when using gcc3: call the compiler directly.
* A new option, std-options, tests that programs support --help and --version
when `make installcheck' is run. This is enabled by --gnits.
* Texinfo rules now support the `ps' and `pdf' targets.
* Info files are now created in the build directory, not the source directory.
* info_TEXINFOS supports files in subdirectories (this requires Texinfo 4.1
* `make distcheck' will enforce DESTDIR support by attempting
a DESTDIR install.
* `+=' can be used in conditionals, even if the augmented variable
was defined for another condition.
* Makefile fragments (inserted with `include') are always distributed.
* Use Autoconf's --trace interface to inspect configure.ac and get
a more accurate view of it.
* Add support for extending aclocal's default macro search path
using a `dirlist' file within the aclocal directory.
* automake --output-dir is deprecated.
* The part of the distcheck target that checks whether uninstall actually
removes all installed files has been moved in a separate target,
distuninstallcheck, so it can be overridden easily.
* Many bug fixes.