LinuxDevices.com: Linux and Open Source: Is it the Right Embedded Solution?
Nov 08, 2002, 08:30 (3 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Paul Zorfass)
WEBINAR: On-demand webcast
How to Boost Database Development Productivity on Linux, Docker, and Kubernetes with Microsoft SQL Server 2017 REGISTER >
"There are pros and cons surrounding Linux and open source
embedded software. The benefits address important areas for
embedded software developers. Benefits are...
- "Cost and availability issue based on no runtime royalties and
available source code at no charge
- A wide range of operating system services that include
effective support for networking
- The associated GNU development tools that are available for a
wide variety of semiconductor cores
"There are also drawbacks in using Linux and open source. Risks
- "With intellectual property (IP), it is sometimes difficult to
verify that available Linux and open source IP code is free from
- The business terms and conditions for some open source lack
clarity; in particular, the GNU Public License (GPL) usage
sometimes leads to contradictory conclusions
- There are new levels of integration and testing required for
utilizing the IP..."