Release Digest: GNU, September 6, 2004
Sep 07, 2004, 05:00 (0 Talkback[s])
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
a new development snapshot of GIMP 2.1 is now available from ftp
ftp.gimp.org and it's
This is an unstable development release. It certainly has bugs
and there are a number of unfinished hacks. We are nevertheless
interested in your feedback and would like you to file bug reports
for crashes and non-obvious problems.
Please note that you cannot install gimp-2.1 side-by-side with
gimp-2.0 into the same prefix. A number of files will clash, so
please use a separate prefix to install this development version!
For details, please read the file INSTALL.
Here's an overview of the changes since 2.1.3 was released:
- Rewritten internal handling of progress indicators. Embed
progress bars to the File Open dialog to reduce annoying dialogs
- Added an API for plug-ins to embed a progress bar. Let the
Script-Fu dialog swallow the progress bars created by running the
- Ported remaining plug-ins and modules to GimpPreviewArea and
- Show progress while converting from RGB to Indexed Colors.
- Added new plug-ins Cartoon, Neon, Photocopy and Softglow.
- Let color selectors adapt to the given size.
- Import basic SVG shapes as paths.
- Improved GIH and guillotine plug-ins.
- Added GimpMessageBox widget. Collect error messages in a single
dialog to reduce popups.
- Renamed the core GimpPreview widget to GimpView.
- Added a GimpPreview widget to libgimpwidgets. This is an
abstract class that combines a GimpPreviewArea with scrollbars and
a "Preview" toggle button.
- Added GimpDrawablePreview derived from GimpPreview.
- Improved previews in Unsharp Mask, Scatter RGB, Sharpen, Spread
and Grid plug-ins.
- Added previews to Edge, Gaussian Blur, Neon, Soft Glow, Sobel
and Selective Gaussian Blur.
- Added a logarithmic mode for the slider in a
- Script-Fu code cleanups.
- Fixed composite assembly code.
- Pass user settings for the checkerboard to plug-ins.
- Image comment, if any, is now shown within the info
- New function "Fit Canvas to Layers"
Michael Natterer, Sven Neumann, David Odin, Shlomi Fish, Bill
Skaggs, Simon Budig, Ari Pollak, Spencer Kimball, Michael
Schumacher, Joao S. O. Bueno, Manish Singh, Helvetix Victorinox,