That’s when I reach for my revolver...
Mar 24, 2009, 12:32 (1 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Dan Williams)
How to Help Your Business Become an AI Early Adopter
"Yes, there are standards. But as we all know, given 10 people
and a standard, you’ll end the day with 12 or 13 differently
behaving "standards-compliant" implementations. People suck. You'd
think it would be easy to agree on an AT command for "prefer 3G /
prefer 2G / 3G only / 2G only". NO SIMPLE FOR YOU. But
NetworkManager has to work around huge amounts of stupid.
Here’s a run-down of some of the mobile broadband hardware
that’s available today and what about it sucks.
"HUAWEI (PHEAR THE DRAGON)
Europe apparently got carpet-bombed with these things. They provide
two usable serial ports; one for data and another for stuff like
signal strength, mode switches, etc. But asking it anything on the
second port makes the modem cry, grab its toys, and run home to
tell mommy what you've done."
- Ask the Wi-Fi Guru: daisy chaining, DD-WRT, signal boosting, and remote administration(Feb 13, 2009)
- How to: Monitor Bandwidth with Tomato Firmware(Jan 05, 2009)
- Sprint to Offer WiMAX-Enabled Linux Tablet(Aug 08, 2007)
- 3G Mobile Broadband on Fedora Core 10(Jan 06, 2009)
- Hackers Unlock iPhone 3G(Dec 18, 2008)
- Nokia Unveils Maemo Roadmap, Plans for 3G Internet Tablet(Sep 21, 2008)
- SLED 10 SP2 makes wireless 3G a snap(Jun 13, 2008)
- Three UK 3G modem in Ubuntu Linux(Jun 12, 2008)
- 3G Linux Phone Design Targets $100 Price(Feb 03, 2008)
- BitUbique: Getting Nokia 6630/Nokia 6680/Nokia N70 to Work as 3G/EDGE/GPRS Modem in Linux(Apr 13, 2006)