Creating a Fancy 3D-Effect GIMP Plugin in Python
Apr 24, 2009, 14:02 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Akkana Peck)
Full Text Search: The Key to Better Natural Language Queries for NoSQL in Node.js
"You have the skeleton of a script; you know the steps you want
to implement. How do you turn those steps into a Python
"Fortunately, GIMP gives you a way of searching for functions:
the Procedure Browser, available in GIMP 2.6's Help menu. In GIMP
2.4 and earlier it was in the Xtns menu in the Toolbox window. Type
a pattern into the search field at the top and GIMP will show you
all the matching functions in its Procedural DataBase, or PDB.
"The first step in the blobify procedure is "Alpha to
Selection". If you're comfortable with regular expressions, you can
search for patterns like alpha.*selection and selection.*alpha.
Otherwise, just try each word separately and choose the one with
the shortest list -- in this case, "alpha".
"There are 28 procedures with "alpha" in the name. That's a lot.
But look through the list for something that also has "selection"
in the name and you'll find only one:
- Writing Plugins for GIMP in Python(Apr 09, 2009)
- GUI Programming in Python For Beginners: Create a Timer in 30 Minutes(Mar 26, 2009)
- Intro to Shell Programming: Writing a Simple Web Gallery(Mar 12, 2009)
- The Linux CLI for Beginners, or, Fear Not the Linux Command Line!(Dec 12, 2008)
- Why Firefox Rocks: Great Firefox Tricks, Part IV(Nov 20, 2008)
- Why Firefox Rocks on Linux: Great Firefox Tricks, Part III(Nov 06, 2008)
- Quick Firefox Tip: Word Count Bookmarklet(Nov 06, 2008)