Linus on Linux: The Linus Torvalds Interview Part 2
Apr 27, 2009, 20:32 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Don Marti)
Full Text Search: The Key to Better Natural Language Queries for NoSQL in Node.js
[ Thanks to An Anonymous Reader for
this link. ]
"The SCM [source control management] choice ends up
being a pretty personal thing, and much more important than the
technical details of the SCM you end up using is the workflow you
"Now, the reason a distributed SCM is important is not the
distribution itself as much as the flow of information it allows.
By avoiding the whole single point of concentration, you end up
with the possibility for a much more dynamic development model.
"And I say "the possibility", because you can certainly continue
with all the old rules, and the old development model, and use a
distributed SCM the same way you use any random central one, but
you won"t see the huge advantages if you do.
"So the big piece of advice for anybody looking at switching
SCM's (or if you just want to really think about the SCM you use
now, and what implicit assumptions you have in your current
workflow) is to think about the SCM as just a tool, but also
realize that it's a tool that quite heavily constrains-- or
liberates--just how you work."
- 'Maddog' Hall: How open-source software can dominate the world(Apr 27, 2009)
- Linus on Linux: The Linus Torvalds Interview Part 1(Apr 23, 2009)
- Aaron Seigo Talks About KDE's Past and Future(Apr 21, 2009)
- No Minix code in Linux Ever -- More Evidence(Apr 20, 2009)
- When did you first use Linux?(Apr 11, 2009)
- Kernel Log: Linux 2.6.30 is taking shape(Apr 10, 2009)
- Linus Torvalds -- One of the Greatest Men Alive?(Mar 30, 2009)
- Kernel developers squabble over Ext3 and Ext4(Mar 27, 2009)
- 25 Mythical and Humorous Facts About Linus Torvalds(Mar 20, 2009)
- The Linux Family Tree(Mar 04, 2009)