Best Open Source Projects of All Time
Aug 17, 2009, 22:01 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Doug Dineley, High Mobley)
How to Help Your Business Become an AI Early Adopter
[ Thanks to snydeq for
this link. ]
"Another favorite distribution is Debian GNU/Linux.
Debian is one of the few Linux distributions that is community
controlled and not steered by a commercial venture. Debian may be
the only Linux distribution that still gives a tip of the hat to
the hard work of the GNU maintainers by calling itself GNU/Linux.
Most of the user-friendly Linux distributions that have popped up
in recent years are based on Debian, whose apt-get software
installation and update system remains a blessing to system
administrators the world over.
"The most celebrated of the newfangled user-friendly distros is
Ubuntu, and for good reason. When you want to introduce a friend or
family member to Linux, you can't do better than to give them
Ubuntu. You can even install and run Ubuntu from inside
"To make any Linux distribution easy to use, you have to bring a
good graphical user interface to the party. Gnome and KDE are the
Linux stalwarts in the GUI department.
"These projects incorporate not just the basic GUI, but also a
full suite of user applications and APIs that other programmers can
use to make their applications work with the Gnome or KDE wares.
How good are these GUI environments? Just look at what happened
when some Aussies presented KDE as Windows 7 to unsuspecting
- Whole Foods Recognized for Innovative Deployment of Linux Solutions(Aug 06, 2009)
- Twitter hack, Red Hat, Linux skewered with Pwnie Awards at Black Hat(Jul 31, 2009)
- One billion Firefoxes(Jul 31, 2009)
- Google O'Reilly Open Source Awards announced(Jul 23, 2009)
- Free Software Awards Winners- Trophees du Libre 2009(Jun 19, 2009)
- Free Sofware Awards - Trophees du Libre 2009(May 23, 2009)
- Linux Journal Announces Winners of its 2009 Readers' Choice Awards(May 03, 2009)
- 2008 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Award Winners(Feb 15, 2009)