Two Features Wayland Will Have That X Doesn't
Nov 11, 2010, 13:04 (13 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Michael Larabel)
No-Size-Fits-All! An Application-Down Approach for Your Cloud Transformation REGISTER >
"While the discussion surrounding the Wayland Display Server and
Canonical's plans to deploy Ubuntu atop Wayland continue to be
ongoing within our forums (here, here, and here) and elsewhere,
some new technical capabilities and plans for Wayland have been
discussed. Here's two features that Wayland is set to have that is
not currently supported by the X.Org Server.
"First off, while the state of Linux laptop GPU switching is
currently poor for those newer notebooks with dual GPUs, Wayland
will have the capability of switching between GPUs for rendering.
This is a feature currently lacking by the current xorg-server for
notebooks, desktops, and all devices. When it comes to Wayland and
GPU hot-swapping, Jerome Glisse mentioned:"
- Script to Install Incredible Compiz Experimental Plugins in Ubuntu Maverick, Lucid(Nov 10, 2010)
- Why Canonical should buy System76(Nov 10, 2010)
- Compiz to be Rewritten for Ubuntu Wayland(Nov 10, 2010)
- on glorious leaders(Nov 10, 2010)
- The new Linux Desktop: Ubuntu's Unity(Nov 09, 2010)
- My Thoughts On Ubuntu's Decision to Dump X Server(Nov 09, 2010)
- Ubuntu embraces Unity and Wayland. Or, GNU/Linux is exciting again(Nov 09, 2010)
- Is Shuttleworth Crazy, Brave, or Smart?(Nov 06, 2010)