Hmm.. I'd like to say it was a normal week, but I'd be lying. rc5 is the biggest rc so far (with the obvious exception of rc1), and it looks fairly unusual in the diffstat too, with almost a third being arch updates. Yes, another third is drivers (normal), but even there almost half is in sound. The rest is tooling, mm, core networking and some fs updates.
So it all looks a bit odd, although none of it is hugely _alarming_. One of the reasons the arch side is a bit bigger than usual at this stage is that we got the STIPB performance regression sorted out, for example.
But rc5 being somewhat bigger than you'd like is a good reason to look at the timing for rest of the rc's. In particular, counting forward the usual three weeks, and you the calendar lights up with the holidays at around the time I'd expect to do a final 4.20 release. I certainly don't want to do a merge window during the holidays, so we'll have to see how this goes. But I'll be traveling the latter half of January, so I don't want to delay the merge window too late either.
But I also don't want to have people do their final prep for the next merge window over the holidays, and then open the merge window right after. That likely just messes with all the submaintainers instead.
So my current suggestion is that we plan on a Christmas release, everybody gets their pull requests for the next merge window done *before* the holidays, and then we see what happens. I think we all want to have a calm holiday season without either the stress of a merge window _or_ the stress of prepping for one..
Of course, if it doesn't calm down after this rc, that can force my hand and I may just have to delay the release regardless. But people can get their ducks lined up for the next release before xmas regardless...