Linux 4.9 rc4
Nov 06, 2016, 14:00 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Linus Torvalds)
So it's once again a Saturday afternoon rather than Sunday, this time
because I felt this rc was already big enough.
Part of the size likely comes just from the fact that 4.9 is big and
has some fundamental changes: we have various fixups for drivers and
filesystems that triggered the whole "stack is now viirtually mapped,
and physical addresses don't work" issue.
But a larger part is simply that the first batch of networking fixes
came in just after the rc3 release, which accounts for a large portion
of this rc (about a third in bulk, slightly more in number of commits
- spread out both over network drivers and core networking).
So I'm not going to lie: this is not a small rc, and I'd have been
happier if it was. But it's not unreasonably large for this (big)
release either, so it's not like I'd start worrying. I'm currently
still assuming that we'll end up with the usual seven release
candidates, assuming things start calming down. We'll see how that
goes as we get closer to a release.
Anyway, about half the changes are to drivers (networking being a
notable part of it, but also media and gpu, with misc other noise).
About a third is architecture updates (sparc and mips stand out, but
there's some x86 and parisc too, and some tiny arm updates). The
remainder is mostly core networking, with a smattering of other
changes (filesystems, tests). And Arnd continues to get his
uninitialized variable warning fixes in, so that we hopefully can
re-enable that warning for 4.9 final. Let's see.
The appended shortlog isn't tiny, but you can kind of scan it for an
overview of the kinds of things that happened the past week.
- Linux 4.9 rc1(Oct 16, 2016)
- UBIFS Supports OverlayFS In Linux 4.9, Readying UBI For MLC Support(Oct 13, 2016)
- Early Benchmarks Of The Linux 4.9 DRM-Next Radeon/AMDGPU Drivers(Oct 03, 2016)
- Greybus Subsystem Proposed For Linux 4.9 Kernel(Sep 14, 2016)
- Mellanox Platform Support Coming In Linux 4.9(Oct 04, 2016)
- XFS File-System Updates For The Linux 4.9 Kernel(Oct 06, 2016)
- More Intel DRM Changes For Linux 4.9, Including DMA-BUF Implicit Fencing(Sep 19, 2016)
- Raspberry Pi VC4 DRM To Get Lower Memory/CPU Overhead On Linux 4.9(Sep 13, 2016)
- Linux 4.9 rc3(Oct 30, 2016)
- Linux 4.9 rc4(Nov 06, 2016)
- Linux 4.9 rc5(Nov 13, 2016)
- Linux 4.9 rc6(Nov 20, 2016)
- Linux 4.9 rc7(Nov 27, 2016)
- Linux 4.9 rc8(Dec 04, 2016)
- Linux 4.9 Released!(Dec 11, 2016)