SkyMapper Telescope: open source powered astronomy
Jun 15, 2009, 15:32 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Tim Lohman)
[ Thanks to An
Anonymous Reader for this link. ]
"The story begins back in 2003 when the Great Melbourne
Telescope was destroyed during the bush fires of January that year.
"From the ashes rose the SkyMapper observatory, based in the
Siding Spring Observatory at the safer central-west NSW location of
Coonabarabran and tasked with scanning the night skies to create
the Southern Sky Survey.
"A deep digital map of the southern sky, the Southern Sky Survey
-- with a little help from the National Computational
Infrastructure (NCI) National Facility -- will allow astronomers to
study interstellar objects ranging from nearby asteroids to
super-distant objects like quasars. "
- Viewing the Night Sky with Linux, Part III: Stellarium and Celestia Take You There(Sep 24, 2008)
- Celestia - Free Opensource Space Simulation to Explore the Universe(Sep 12, 2008)
- Viewing the Night Sky with Linux, Part I: KStars(Aug 29, 2008)
- Exploring Space with Celestia(Jul 16, 2008)
- Astronomy Domine(Jun 05, 2008)
- Watch and Explore Outer Space with Stellarium, Celestia, and Xplanet(Mar 19, 2008)