LinuxPower interviews Kalle Dalheimer of KDE
Nov 09, 1998, 09:24 (4 Talkback[s])
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
LinuxPower has an interview with Kalle Dalheimer of KDE. They
asked the following questions:
- What do you see as the main reason for someone choosing to use
a desktop environment?
- What advantages do KDE-aware apps provide over a non-aware
- What window managers have native support for KDE?
- How easy is KDE to install?
- When do you think KDE will be ready to capture the desktop of
the average computer user?
- Approximately how many developers do you have working on the
main project / how many
- How are you handling usability testing? Are you testing KDE on
average users with little previous
- How do you view the other desktop environment projects for
- What previously existing desktop environment has influenced KDE
the most? What about it makes
- How is window manager coordination handled by the desktop
- Which significant applications for your desktop environment are
near completion or are quite
- What distributions are using your desktop environment?
- Do you feel that some features that your are implementing
yourself (e.g. Drag 'N Drop) would be
- What are you feelings about all the disagreement about your
desktop environment versus GNOME?
- Are there any minimal hardware requirements to run KDE?
- Why do you feel the open source model is the best model for
your desktop environment?
- What are your feelings on QT? Do you see it as a threat to the
free software movement?
- Do you see the X server as limiting your ability to make the
"best" desktop environment?
- What percentage of Linux users would you like to see use your
- What are your goals for the up coming versions of KDE?
- What two things do you see as advantages for your desktop
environment in Linux? What two things
Head on over to view the full