Le Monde diplomatique: Defining The World's Public Property - Who owns knowledge?
Jan 12, 2000, 20:23 (1 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Philippe Quéau)
Full Text Search: The Key to Better Natural Language Queries for NoSQL in Node.js
"Far from being a mere technical adjustment to the "information
society", the changes to intellectual property law are a political
matter. Using the "multimedia revolution" as an argument, some
interest groups have in fact mobilised to get intellectual property
law revised, strengthening it in the rights holders'
"Most innovations and inventions are based on ideas that
form part of the common property of humanity. It cannot therefore
be right to restrict access to the information and knowledge that
make up this common property by making the law too keen to
safeguard individual interests...."
"Consider, for example, the ownership of raw data and facts.
Everywhere, the state is "pulling out" and having countless public
databases managed by subcontractors who then get the rights to
exploit that data. Thus, the Securities and Exchange Commission
(SEC, the American stock market watchdog) has been obliged to buy
back its own data from a commercial enterprise which now "owns"
- Advogato.org: Patents(Jan 12, 2000)
- Bruce Sterling: The Manifesto of January 3, 2000, Ideological Freeware: Distribute At Will(Jan 04, 2000)
- technocrat.net: A combined defensive/offensive software patent strategy(Jan 01, 2000)
- E-Commerce Times: Amazon Boycott Rhetoric Reaches Absurd Heights(Dec 30, 1999)
- UPDATED: Richard Stallman -- Boycott Amazon!(Dec 22, 1999)
- LWN: The Windowing patent(Nov 03, 1999)
- Userland.com: Patents are the 18th century equivalent of open source(Oct 24, 1999)
- Eurolinux Alliance delegation meets European Union legislators(Oct 21, 1999)
- Webnoize: MPEG, Patents, and Open Source(Aug 27, 1999)
- Fight For Software Freedom Far From Over -- Interview with Richard Stallman(Aug 19, 1999)
- The Register: Linux alliance fights against Euro software patents(Jun 23, 1999)
- Richard Stallman -- Saving Europe from Software Patents(May 16, 1999)
- LinuxWorld: Preparing for the intellectual-property offensive by Bruce Perens(Nov 11, 1998)
- CNN: Microsoft pondering legal challenge to Linux(Nov 07, 1998)