Welcome to Debian Weekly News, a newsletter for the Debian
The candidates for Debian Project Leader participated on a
debate on IRC. Issues discussed included new-maintainer, dealing
with Debian's growth, ports to other OS's, the infamous Debian
cabal, and the future of Debian. A transcript is available, and
the debate web site also has speeches and platforms to help you
get to know the candidates. Elections start in one week.
Speaking as release manager, Richard Braakman outlined his
new plan for cutting down on the number of release critical
bugs. The plan centers around the "Bug Horizon", which is now set
for the 28th. Any package that passes through the bug horizon with
release critical bugs that have been unchanged for 2 weeks will be
removed from Debian. This is rather draconian, but seems likely to
be quite effective at motivating people to fix release critical
Version 2.2.7 of the boot floppies has been released, and as
usual anyone can help the boot floppies team by testing the new
Security fixes this week included fixed versions of make and
ntop, and minor fixes to mirrormagic and slrn.
Lots of Roxen modules were uploaded to unstable this week. The
following packages are also brand-new to Debian, along with 121
* cadaver: command-line client for WebDAV server
* dclock: Digital clock for X Windows with flexible
* epplets: Epplets for the Enlightenment Window Manager
* ewipe: Yet another presentation tool based on Tcl/Tk
* libcdk4: Curses Development Kit (dev, examples,
perl interface, perl examples, perl widgets)
* palbart: An enhanced version of the PAL PDP8 assembler
* sporum: a powerful Web-based discussion forum.
Followups to last week's news:
* The Debian for kids project that started last week has been
renamed Debian Jr., and now has a website listing the goals of
* The reorganized new-maintainer team has spent the past week
working on a procedure for processing new maintainers.
Interested parties can follow the team's discussions on the
nm-discuss mailing list.
Some of the products that appear on this site are from companies from which QuinStreet receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site including, for example, the order in which they appear. QuinStreet does not include all companies or all types of products available in the marketplace.