LinuxMalll.com: Dell Firm in IA-64 Support as Distributions Vie for Developers
May 19, 2000, 22:08 (1 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Greta Durr)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
[ Thanks to LinuxMall.com for this link.
"Dell reinforced its commitment to the project formerly
known as Trillian with the recent Red Hat announcement that it has
released an early version of its source code for the Intel Itanium
processor platform targeting high-end servers and
"Red Hat is on TurboLinux's heels with its release. TurboLinux
outed its code in late March according to Lonn Johnston, vice
president of corporate communications. Since then, he said,
TurboLinux has completed three revisions of its early release.
"It's getting to be fairly mature," he said. Both Red Hat and
TurboLinux distributions enable IA-64 software development for
intensive computing environments, from high-performance design
automation to enterprise-level databases."
"London said that the full release of Red Hat's offering is
slated to coincide with the IA-64 hardware availability from Intel.
Johnston said that although TurboLinux has another revision in the
works and expects it to soon be released, TurboLinux was not yet
prepared to announce a a date for its availability."
- Network World: Red Hat releases IA-64 Linux distribution(May 19, 2000)
- The Register: Dell plans for Red Hat Linux Itanium boxes get disappeared(May 18, 2000)
- SRO: Red Hat Leads The Way To 64-Bit Itanium Linux(May 18, 2000)
- CNET News.com: Linux makes inroads into high-end computers(May 18, 2000)
- SGI.com: SGI releases open source compilers for Trillian Linux (Intel IA-64 'Itanium' chip)(May 16, 2000)
- SRO: Alpha 64-Bit Windows Arrives(May 11, 2000)
- LinuxPR: Intel Partners with ActiveState for IA-64 Port(May 10, 2000)
- BW: TurboLinux Joins DIG64 Working Group(May 09, 2000)
- ComputerWorld: SGI plans 64-bit overlay to Linux(Apr 05, 2000)
- WideOpenNews: TurboLinux Releases First IA-64 Linux Distro(Mar 17, 2000)