BSD Today: Attempting to installing OpenBSD under VMware
Jul 07, 2000, 01:27 (4 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Jeremy Weatherford)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
[ Thanks to Jeremy C.
Reed for this link. ]
"I've used Linux for a long time, and I've recently been
interested in getting more experience with other operating systems.
Since I don't have any *BSD boxes to play with, I decided to
install one myself. In order to minimize downtime, and to have
online documentation constantly available, I decided to install it
under VMware. I first tried FreeBSD, since it was officially
supported under VMware. After a few tries, that installed
successfully, but I never got X working, and I wasn't too fond of
the overall setup. Frustrated, I decided to try OpenBSD."
"Since I have a fair amount of bandwidth available, I decided to
do an FTP-based install. First step is to grab the install/boot
floppy from an FTP site. This wasn't hard to find at all, and
there's only one boot floppy needed, no matter what kind of install
you're doing. I liked this a lot."
"After transferring the floppy image, floppy27.fs, and writing
it to a floppy using 'dd if=floppy27.fs of=/dev/fd0', I was ready
to boot a new VMware session. You apparently can't configure VMware
devices until the session is powered up, so I had to power on the
VMware session, and then go to the Devices menu, and connect the
floppy drive so the BIOS could boot from it."
- CNET News.com: VMware ready to capitalize on hot server market(Jun 30, 2000)
- BSD Today: Installing OpenBSD 2.7(Jun 29, 2000)
- PRNewswire: Dell Leads $20 Million Strategic Investment Round in VMware(May 24, 2000)
- BSD Today: An experience installing OpenBSD(May 10, 2000)
- European Linux Platform(EUP) - e-zine: Interview with OpenBSD's Theo Deraadt(Apr 21, 2000)
- Boardwatch: Getting To Know OpenBSD - An Interview With Louis Bertrand(Apr 07, 2000)
- osOpinion: Somebody give VMWare some venture capital. Quickly!(Mar 22, 2000)
- PRNewswire: VMware Announces General Availability of Version 2.0(Mar 03, 2000)
- O'Reilly Network: Interview : Mendel Rosenblum of VMware(Feb 27, 2000)
- The Standard: Why Choose [when VMWare Lets You Switch]?(Feb 08, 2000)
- osOpinion: FreeBSD, OpenBSD and SuSE 6.2 Eval Review(Nov 17, 1999)
- Linux.com: Buddying up to BSD: Part Two - OpenBSD(Nov 08, 1999)
- InfoWorld: OpenBSD comes close to security nirvana with a system that is 'secure by default'(Nov 08, 1999)