LinuxDevices.com: Embedded Linux tsunami hits Tokyo!
Jul 14, 2000, 15:23 (0 Talkback[s])
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
[ Thanks to LinuxDevices.com for this link.
"The Tokyo announcement echoes that of the international
Embedded Linux Consortium (ELC) in Chicago, earlier this year.
Having several members in common, and borrowing heavily from the
language of the ELC's launch, the EMBLIX launch press release
evidences a nearly identical mission."
"The Tokyo announcement adds substantial impact to the already
dramatic growth of the original Embedded Linux Consortium which, in
just 120 days, has garnered support from nearly a hundred key
embedded market players, including the likes of IBM, Motorola, and
Red Hat. The growth of embedded Linux consortium membership mirrors
the unheralded proliferation of Linux itself, which has rapidly
catapulted from "cool idea" to "disruptive technology" -- largely
without the benefit of massive corporate investments."
"Think of it as the third wave of Linux:
- First, the grass roots developer movement. Through nearly a
decade of free and open sharing of Linux source code via the
Internet, it was suddenly "discovered" that a huge number of the
world's servers were now running Linux.
- Next, of course, was the past year's stock market roller
coaster ride. Linux arrived in world consciousness -- as a
potential challenger to the seemingly impenetrable software market
dominance of Microsoft.
- Now, the embedded market. Quietly and without much fanfare,
Linux has been chosen for use in thousands of the development
projects that are creating tomorrow's smart devices. This market,
incidentally, is the destination of more than 95% of the world's
annual output of some 2 billion microprocessor chips."
- CNET News.com/Reuters: Japanese firms team on Linux OS for mobile devices(Jul 13, 2000)
- The Register: Japanese CE giants to create own Linux(Jul 13, 2000)
- CNNfn: Japan gets Linux fever: Sony, Toshiba head 23-company group developing Linux operating system(Jul 13, 2000)
- BW: Embedded Linux Consortium Seats First Board of Directors(Jul 12, 2000)
- Daily Yomiuri On-Line (Japan): Linux is set to start going places(Jul 11, 2000)
- LinuxPR: Executives Take Leadership Role in Embedded Linux Consortium
(Jul 07, 2000)
- BW: Reasoning Joins Embedded Linux Consortium as Founding Member...(Jun 19, 2000)
- PRNewswire: Accelerated Technology Joins Embedded Linux Consortium(Jun 02, 2000)
- BW: NETsilicon Joins Embedded Linux Consortium...(Jun 01, 2000)
- PRNewswire: Jabber.com Partners With Lineo and Participates in the Embedded Linux Consortium(May 10, 2000)
- BW: Internet Appliance Inc. Joins Embedded Linux Consortium As Charter Member(May 09, 2000)
- LinuxPR: Metrowerks Joins Embedded Linux Consortium as Founding Member(May 02, 2000)
- LinuxDevices.com: The Birth of the Embedded Linux Consortium(Apr 04, 2000)
- BW: I-Logix Joins Embedded Linux Consortium as a Founding Member(Apr 04, 2000)
- TechWeb: Vendors Establish Embedded Linux Consortium(Mar 09, 2000)
- LinuxPR: Industry Leaders Launch Embedded Linux Consortium(Mar 09, 2000)