Linux.com: The Ethan Fremen [of Zope] interview
Jul 22, 2000, 14:02 (0 Talkback[s])
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"Ethan Fremen works for Digital Creations as the community
liason for Zope, an open source web application server. He
interfaces between Digital Creations and the Zope community, and is
the webmaster for Zope.org."
"Linux.com: How does Zope compare to other web
application servers available for Linux?
Ethan Fremen: Well, we're an integrated
environment, which has a lot of advantages if you work within the
environment. It's strongly object-oriented, which means that it has
a better chance at longevity than almost anything else out there,
because if it's HTML objects today and SOAP objects tomorrow, it's
still the same underlying platform. I would think that Enhydra is
probably the closest thing in the open source space, but it is
unfortunately not built with an open language."
"Linux.com: How does Digital Creations make
money from Zope?
Ethan Fremen: Digital Creations builds
industrial strength web applications. That includes, but is not
limited to, Web sites. According to Paul Everitt, our CEO, going
open source has tripled our buisness. Think about it: would you
rather use some proprietary web-building tool, and be forever
hostage to the company that made it, or throw your chips in with an
open source project, where you know there'll be someone who can
maintain things no matter what happened?"
- LinuxWorld: Still not addicted: Zope too geek for its own good(Jul 15, 2000)
- LinuxMall.com: Zope is the Dope(Jun 14, 2000)
- LinuxProgramming: Zope 2.1.6: An Alternative Application Server(Jun 08, 2000)
- European Unix Platform (EUP): Introduction to Zope(May 13, 2000)
- LinuxWorld: The dope on Zope - New tool is powerful, but nonintuitive and poorly documented(Mar 25, 2000)
- XML.com: Advanced XML Applications in Zope(Mar 18, 2000)
- Zope.org: How-To: Build a WAP site with Zope(Feb 12, 2000)
- Zope.org: How-To: Gain Zope Enlightenment By Grokking Object Orientation(Feb 08, 2000)
- Byte.com: A Zope Primer: The Calendar Tag as an example of Zope(Jan 24, 2000)
- LinuxPlanet: The Zope Application Server Revisited(Jan 07, 2000)