VNU Net/CRN: Caldera closes in on SCO
Jul 26, 2000, 17:29 (3 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Nick Booth)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
By Nick Booth, Computer Reseller
Linux vendor Caldera Systems is reportedly close to buying
Unix pioneer SCO in a move that would give it access to a
well-developed reseller channel in the UK as well as many of SCO's
SCO's server division would cost Caldera about $70m
(£46m), according to sources familiar with the deal. Caldera
would gain possession of SCO Openserver, the Unix-on-Intel
operating system that established SCO as a major IT player.
It will also get Unixware 7.0, the foundation technology for
Project Monterey which was the IBM/SCO version of Unix designed for
Intel's 64bit processors. IBM has launched a £200m initiative
to push Linux in Europe.
Caldera would also have access to Vision2K, which provides
terminal emulation and allows Microsoft Windows to access
applications that use X-Windows and the Network File System.
Barry Walker, UK regional director at SCO, was unable to comment
on the speculation owing to Wall Street regulations, but some of
the members of SCO's channel were less circumspect.
"It's very exciting; good news for us and for the channel," said
Sean Fane, director at Caldera distributor Interquad. "It already
has an effective technology story. This could put the support
infrastructure in place."
Jonathan Ellis, sales and marketing director at Open Computing,
SCO's biggest UK distributor, was more sceptical. "It's too early
to say how it will affect us," he said.
Analyst Robin Bloor said the deal would be good business for
both Caldera and SCO. "SCO's market share has been eaten away
by Linux, while Caldera needs the channel," he said. "The whole
Linux/Unix market is turning into a juggernaut and the vendors will
have to position themselves."
[ First published in Computer Reseller News ]
- The Register: More red ink spatters SCO(Jul 26, 2000)
- Linux.com: SCO Deal Proves Elusive for Caldera(Jul 25, 2000)
- ZDNet: Caldera, SCO deal nearly final(Jul 23, 2000)
- The Register: Caldera, SCO deny takeover talks(Jul 20, 2000)
- ZDNet: Dawn Of The Linux Age: Caldera Close To Buying SCO Unix(Jul 19, 2000)
- Smart Partner: Caldera Linux + SCO Tarantella = Linux Web Application Server(Jul 19, 2000)
- Smart Partner: Linux's Next Move - SCO ponders penguin politics in the shadow of a major upgrade(Jul 18, 2000)
- NetworkWorld: A new Linux distribution from an old company [SCO](Jul 17, 2000)
- Forbes: SCO Hitches Its Wagon To Linux(Jul 12, 2000)
- LinuxStockNews: Exclusive Interview With Mr. Ransom Love, CEO of Caldera Systems (July 3, 2000)
(Jul 04, 2000)
- ZDNet UK: SCO cuts clustering costs(Jul 03, 2000)
- VNU Net: SCO comes to the open-source party(Jul 01, 2000)