ComputerWorld: Caldera's acquisition of SCO's Unix business gets mixed reviews
Aug 03, 2000, 20:18 (3 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Todd R. Weiss, Dominique Deckmyn)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
"Caldera Systems Inc.'s acquisition of the Unix server and
services businesses of The Santa Cruz Operation Inc. (SCO) gives
Caldera access to a large installed base of users and a strong
distribution channel. But doubts are emerging on whether Caldera
can successfully merge open source and proprietary product lines
without betraying its roots in the Linux community."
"I'm very skeptical about this deal," said Stacey Quandt, an
analyst at Giga Information Group Inc. in Santa Clara, Calif.
"They can't [release UnixWare] under the General Public License
because there are probably parts of code that belong to third
parties. They are walking a thin line between open source and a
proprietary operating system...."
"In a conference call with analysts, Caldera CEO Ransom Love
said it isn't yet clear under what type of license the SCO
technologies will be released. He said developers would get access
to source code but that Caldera would hold on to ownership of some
of the code. "Ownership [of code] is not a bad thing; it's actually
a good thing," said Love. "It protects [code] quality."
- The Register: Double-spinning Caldera faces open source backlash(Aug 03, 2000)
- The Register: Caldera goes Unix with SCO acquisition(Aug 03, 2000)
- Linux Journal: Caldera Offers a Serious Choice(Aug 03, 2000)
- InfoWorld: SCO sells out to Caldera(Aug 02, 2000)
- Smart Partner: Caldera Buys SCO Unix & Professional Services(Aug 02, 2000)
- Inter@ctive Investor: Caldera and SCO seal deal(Aug 02, 2000)
- BW: Caldera Systems to Acquire SCO Server Software and Professional Services(Aug 02, 2000)
- VNU Net/CRN: Caldera closes in on SCO(Jul 26, 2000)
- Linux.com: SCO Deal Proves Elusive for Caldera(Jul 25, 2000)
- ZDNet: Caldera, SCO deal nearly final(Jul 23, 2000)
- The Register: Caldera, SCO deny takeover talks(Jul 20, 2000)