VNU Net: Caldera unites Linux, Unix under one roof
Aug 03, 2000, 23:04 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by John Geralds)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
By John Geralds, VNU
Linux distributor Caldera Systems said its acquisition of two of
Santa Cruz Operation's (SCO's) units will unify Linux and Unix for
the first time under one company.
Ransom Love, Caldera president and chief executive, said the new
company would deliver products for ebusiness environments using
both Unix and Linux. "The platform will merge the scalability of
Unix with the flexibility of the open source Linux operating
system," he said.
"This will result in a set of new web-based offerings that let
users run ebusiness applications on everything from thin clients to
data centres with clustered server devices," he added.
Caldera is forming a holding company, Caldera Inc, to acquire
the two SCO divisions. These are the server software division,
which consists of Unixware and OpenServer along with SCO's existing
reseller partnerships and contracts, and the professional services
division, which provides consulting, support and
Caldera said it will provide the first comprehensive open
internet platform that combines Linux and Unix servers and
solutions globally. Specifically, that will include Caldera's Linux
line and SCO's OpenServer and Unixware lines.
The combined product line will be introduced at SCO's premier
partner show, Forum2000, on 23 August and will be available through
both SCO and Caldera's existing worldwide partners.
Following the acquisition, Love will become chief executive of
Caldera Inc, and David McCrabb, current president of the SCO's
server software division, will become president and chief operating
officer of the new company.
- CNET News.com: Caldera strategy highlights new role for Unix(Aug 04, 2000)
- ComputerWorld: Caldera's acquisition of SCO's Unix business gets mixed reviews(Aug 04, 2000)
- The Register: Double-spinning Caldera faces open source backlash(Aug 03, 2000)
- The Register: Caldera goes Unix with SCO acquisition(Aug 03, 2000)
- Linux Journal: Caldera Offers a Serious Choice(Aug 03, 2000)
- InfoWorld: SCO sells out to Caldera(Aug 03, 2000)
- Smart Partner: Caldera Buys SCO Unix & Professional Services(Aug 02, 2000)
- Inter@ctive Investor: Caldera and SCO seal deal(Aug 02, 2000)
- BW: Caldera Systems to Acquire SCO Server Software and Professional Services(Aug 02, 2000)
- VNU Net/CRN: Caldera closes in on SCO(Jul 27, 2000)