OLinux.com.br: Case of Success: Red Escolar Project in Mexico [Interview w/Arturo Espinosa]
Aug 07, 2000, 19:07 (0 Talkback[s])
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
[ Thanks to Fernando
Correa for this link. ]
"Olinux: Describe your relationship with Miguel
de Icaza? Did you work initially for Gnome project? Are there any
relation between Red Escolar and Gnome?
Arturo Espinosa: Miguel de Icaza and I have
been friends since I got to the faculty. I saw the GNOME project be
born, and have participated in it since. Red Escolar takes
advantage of the GNOME project, using it as a desktop and as a
platform for some user administration software we wrote."
"Olinux How did you came up with Red
Escolar? When did it start?
Arturo Espinosa: Red Escolar is a big
project the mexican government has been working on for three years
now. There are some big challenges in the realization of its goals,
and Red Escolar Linux, which is the project I worked for, solves
some of these problems. I spent some 6 months investigating
the way GNU/Linux could help Red Escolar to be a more successful
project, looking at what there was available at the time and what
would be needed to develop."
"Olinux: How many schools have joined the
project? And how many users will be involved? Once a school decide
to join Red Escolar, then what are the next steps?
Arturo Espinosa: Take a look at that in Red
Escolar's web page: Redescolar. As for Red Escolar
Linux, we have 7 interested states of the mexican republic, and one
of them is using it extensively."
- InstallFest set for August 26 for 181,115 users in Mexico(Aug 07, 2000)
- New Linux portal for Mexico(Jul 20, 2000)
- LinuxMall.com: Mexican Linux Program Sees Red(Jul 15, 2000)
- SEUL.org: Linux in education report #22 for June 19(Jun 19, 2000)
- SEUL.org: Linux in education report #21 for June 5(Jun 05, 2000)
- Dallas Morning News: Baby-faced rebels: Mexican wunderkind takes aim at Microsoft's dominance(May 17, 2000)
- SEUL.org: Linux in education report #5(Feb 01, 2000)
- Wired News: Mexican Schools Embrace Linux(Nov 07, 1998)
- Mexican project plans to deploy 140,000 Linux labs in schools(Oct 27, 1998)