CNET News.com: IBM taps Linux for watch, supercomputer
Aug 07, 2000, 21:47 (0 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Stephen Shankland)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
"IBM is thinking big and small in its strategy for the
increasingly popular Linux operating system."
"IBM researchers have crammed Linux into a wristwatch to test
the limits of the operating system and explore ways people can
interact with tiny computing devices. In addition, the company is
considering using Linux in its upcoming Blue Gene supercomputer,
according to Ambuj Goyal, vice president of IBM research...."
"We're conducting research to test the capability all the way
from small, pervasive devices...to very large-scale petaflop
supercomputers," Goyal said. A "petaflop" supercomputer can perform
a quadrillion mathematical calculations a second."
"The IBM prototypes are no ordinary wristwatches, however.
On one hand, they're bulkier, and the rechargeable lithium-polymer
battery lasts only two to four days. Yet the watches have as much
memory and storage space as an older desktop computer. In two
years, IBM expects battery life to improve to last several months,
- AllLinuxDevices: Fact Sheet: IBM's Linux Wrist Watch(Aug 07, 2000)
- TechWeb/Reuters: IBM Researchers Create Linux-Based Wristwatch(Aug 07, 2000)
- VNU Net: IBM moves to reposition server business(Aug 05, 2000)
- VNU Net: IBM beefs up Linux support on S/390(Aug 05, 2000)
- LinuxWorld.com.au: IBM, CA Team to Put Linux Suite on S/390(Aug 04, 2000)
- CRN: IBM Expands Linux Offerings, Keeps Costs Down, on S/390(Aug 03, 2000)
- BW: IBM Introduces Pricing, Enhancements for Linux on S/390 Servers(Aug 03, 2000)
- LinuxPlanet: The Ultimate Install Fest: Linux on the IBM System/390(Jul 31, 2000)
- CNET News.com/Gartner: IBM hedges bets by offering Linux on all platforms(Jul 29, 2000)
- CNET News.com: IBM sweetens mainframe pricing for Linux(Jul 28, 2000)
- ZDNet: IBM mainframes to get Linux treatment(Jul 28, 2000)
- NetworkWorld: IBM continues its Big Iron Linux Push(Jul 27, 2000)