LinuxPlanet: Preview: Netscape 6, Preview Release 2
Aug 10, 2000, 17:45 (22 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Michael Hall)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
[ Thanks to Kevin
Reichard for this link. ]
"...Now the second preview is out, It's more complete, more
usable in general, and supposedly (alongside Milestone 17), the
last release before the business of optimizing and bugcrushing are
undertaken in earnest. In other words: this is what you're going to
get, it just doesn't work as well as it will."
"Before going any further, we'll issue a few warnings:"
"Netscape 6 will not present itself as usable to people in need
of a stable browser. It has bugs, it misbehaves, and it disappears
from the screen over mysterious vexations known only to itself. If
casual users can spend an hour of worry (and crash) free browsing,
we're happy for them."
"We also don't believe it's somehow a mark of an imperfect Open
Source/Free Software advocate to point out that the product isn't
ready for prime time. Netscape 4.73 is more stable on our test
machines where Linux is concerned, and when we ran the Windows
version on a dual-boot machine, I found much the same thing.
The Gecko rendering engine is very good, and it does a nice
job. The wrapper around that engine, though, is flawed. It's no
poor reflection on Open Source software that this is so, and if
you've been around the community for long, you know this makes its
own sense. It is, however, a mark of how far a product has to go if
Netscape 4.7 is consistently better behaved."
- CNET News.com: Netscape plays catch-up with latest browser(Aug 10, 2000)
- eWeek: Latest Navigator 'preview' boasts impressive features(Aug 10, 2000)
- IPW: Netscape 6 - Based On The Open Source Gecko Engine(Aug 09, 2000)
- InternetNews.com: Netscape Releases New Beta(Aug 09, 2000)
- Suck.com: Before the Body's Cold [The Mozilla Project](Jul 31, 2000)
- LinuxPlanet: Sneak Preview: Galeon Web Browser(Jul 18, 2000)
- LinuxPlanet: One Fat Gecko: Netscape 6(Jun 20, 2000)
- WebTools.com: Netscape 6 PR1: Not Yet Ready For Prime Time(Apr 18, 2000)
- Wired: Netscape 6: A Work in Progress(Apr 13, 2000)
- LinuxMall.com: Netscape 6: Picked or Panned?(Apr 12, 2000)