LinuxDevices.com: Victor Yodaiken on the past, present, and future of RTLinux
Aug 12, 2000, 23:28 (2 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Rick Lehrbaum)
Re-Imagining Linux Platforms to Meet the Needs of Cloud Service Providers
[ Thanks to LinuxDevices.com for this link.
"Victor Yodaiken, project leader for RTLinux, is considered by
many to be the father of "real-time Linux." In this interview with
LinuxDevices.com founder Rick Lehrbaum, Yodaiken shares his
thoughts about the past, the present, and the future of RTLinux.
Where did RTLinux come from? What's new in the upcoming version 3
release? What new and exciting RTLinux enhancements can we expect
to see over the next 12 months? What about the recent efforts to
standardize real-time Linux? Oh yes, and one more thing . . .
What's with that RTLinux patent?"
"RL: You were doing this as an instructor or
professor at New Mexico Institute of Technology (NMT)?
Yodaiken: I came up with RTLinux at NMT, but I
had been working on realtime and related issues even back to my
graduate student research. ...being interested in Linux, and being
interested in real-time, and trying to figure out a way that you
could make programs reliable by separating out the real-time and
non-real-time parts ... they all came together, and I thought
of this 'trick' for running Linux as a sub-thread of the real-time
operating system and 'fooling' it about what was happening with the
- LinuxDevices.com: Yellow Dog embraces RTLinux(Jul 08, 2000)
- LinuxDevices.com: Free simulator enables desktop debug of RTLinux apps(Jul 08, 2000)
- LinuxPR: FSMLabs releases RTLinux V3 beta for x86,Alpha, and PowerPC.
(Jun 19, 2000)
- LinuxDevices.com: Lineo proclaims unity of RTLinux and RTAI -- sort of(Jun 13, 2000)
- LinuxDevices.com: FSMLabs developing RTLinux for Alpha AXP(Mar 08, 2000)
- The Register: RTLinux patent treads a narrow path(Feb 15, 2000)
- LinuxPR: FSMLabs Releases RTLinux V2.0 Hard Realtime Linux 2.2(Nov 25, 1999)
- Crossroads: RTLinux: An Interview with Victor Yodaiken(Sep 29, 1999)