LinuxDevices.com: Red Hat's 'un-Linux' OS (eCos) gains another convert
Aug 17, 2000, 23:44 (1 Talkback[s])
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
[ Thanks to LinuxDevices.com for this link.
"In spite of Red Hat's perceived image as "the Linux
company," the company continues to promote eCos as a light weight
and highly configurable alternative to Linux, for deeply embedded
applications. Red Hat's ongoing eCos commitment surfaced yesterday
in the form of a joint announcement between Red Hat and CrosStor
Software. CrosStor, it seems, is porting its network-attached
storage (NAS) software -- which currently depends on Wind River's
VxWorks as its underlying RTOS platform -- to Red Hat's eCos."
"According to CrosStor CTO Gordon Harris, CrosStor requires an
embedded RTOS for a number of basic system functions, including a
hardware abstraction layer (HAL), precision scheduling, and timers.
Although the company is currently a licensee of Wind River's
VxWorks RTOS, Harris says "eCos is very attractive." The port of
CrosStor to eCos is already in process and will be released before
the end of this year."
"Linux itself was not a viable alternative, Harris explained,
"because [Linux] brings general purpose operating system baggage"
that is not appropriate for the highly specialized file system and
RAID technology requirements of CrosStor's network-attached storage
application. "eCos is much more light weight," said Harris. Using
Linux with real-time extensions such as RTLinux was also not
viable, according to Harris, because although "RTLinux is really
good for data collection," it does not offer the specific real-time
services, such as scheduling and timers, that are required by
- LinuxDevices.com: An interview with Red Hat CTO, Michael Tiemann(May 30, 2000)
- NetworkWorld: Getting embedded with a penguin(Apr 25, 2000)
- BW: Red Hat's Open Source Embedded OS to Power Post-PC Printer Device From Brother(Mar 14, 2000)
- Sleepycat Software Marketing VP Mike Olson at The Bazaar(Dec 19, 1999)
- sendmail.net: An Interview with Michael Tiemann(Dec 03, 1999)
- CNET News.com: Red Hat buys software firm, shuffles CEO(Nov 16, 1999)
- LinuxDevices.com: EL/IX: Unifying APIs for Linux and Post-PC Computing(Nov 04, 1999)
- Linux Journal: Open Source Software for Real-Time Solutions(Sep 20, 1999)
- CNET News.com: Start-up helps bring Linux to gadgets(Jun 22, 1999)
- Forbes: Tiny machines, big dreams(Mar 15, 1999)
- Cygnus Solutions and Fujitsu Microelectronics Partner to Deliver eCos for Fujitsu's SPARClite Family of Microprocessors(Feb 16, 1999)
- Inter@ctive Week: ECos Aims To Get Embedded(Jan 12, 1999)
- eCos (Cygnus Real-Time OS) now available for download(Nov 03, 1998)