osOpinion: A vs. B, or Why You Should Both Shut Up
Aug 23, 2000, 06:36 (8 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Byron Sonne)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
[ Thanks to Kelly
McNeill for this link. ]
"It seems that I can not go anywhere without bumping into a
flamefest. There is the ever present *BSD vs. Linux row, but this
week it seems to be Gnome vs. KDE. It might as well be Coke vs.
Pepsi or Ford vs. Dodge, for all I care...."
"It is a very human behaviour to take sides and to engage in
conflict. By doing so we are immersing ourselves in primal powers
that are easily capable of overwhelming our common sense and
individuality. There is no way to avoid the negative aspects for
they stem from the very same place as the positive motivations that
drive us forward as a species. They are not irreconcilable; they
are in fact complementary. But enough of this melodramatic yin-yang
blabber, on to something practical."
"What many other people and I find disconcerting is the ease by
which most of us become overwhelmed. Rather than standing fast and
maintaining grace in the face of insult or honest criticism, we
respond with anger and insults. This is not a new phenomenon, it
has existed throughout time and crosses all cultural boundaries.
There is no excuse for it anymore; between us all there is enough
history for us to learn from our mistakes and to change. We all
know that it is unwise to speak in anger, and better to cool down
before issuing a response."
- ZDNet: GNOME vs. KDE: This means war?(Aug 22, 2000)
- LinuxPlanet: Not a Typical Troll Tale(Aug 22, 2000)
- OLinux.com.br: KDE Release 2.0 by Mathias Ettrich [Q&A w/Ettrich](Aug 21, 2000)
- osOpinion: The GNOME Ascendant(Aug 21, 2000)
- LinuxToday.com.au: Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before(Aug 21, 2000)
- Slashdot: KDE Developer on the GNOME Foundation(Aug 19, 2000)
- osOpinion: Beating them with their own code: why GNOME can't kill KDE(Aug 18, 2000)
- eWeek: GNOME Throws Down the Gauntlet(Aug 17, 2000)
- LWN: A talk with KDE developer Kurt Granroth(Aug 17, 2000)
- The Register: Herzfield spills all about Eazel(Aug 16, 2000)
- Wired: Linux Mounts MS Offense [w/GNOME Foundation](Aug 15, 2000)
- The Register: KDE responds: we're not scared(Aug 15, 2000)
- The Register: Sun puts dollars and suits behind GNOME(Aug 14, 2000)
- LinuxToday.com.au: HelixCode for KDE?(Aug 09, 2000)