osOpinion: The Art of FUD
Aug 24, 2000, 09:08 (5 Talkback[s])
(Other stories by Tom Nadeau)
Desktop-as-a-Service Designed for Any Cloud ? Nutanix Frame
[ Thanks to Kelly
McNeill for this link. ]
"The Linux community has just been through yet another
episode or wave of FUD attacks. Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt are
cast upon any new idea or new product that seriously threaten the
Microsoft regime. This is a brief history of FUD."
"The original techno-FUDsters were at IBM. Back in the 1950s,
anybody who offered a competing product was FUD'd as follows:
1. It won't be compatible with your current IBM stuff. 2. It
will never be in business long enough to have IBM-level support. 3.
Nobody ever got fired for choosing IBM."
"Add to these lines various and sundry observations, innuendoes,
and distortions. IBM was very good at being sly, at using the
Clintonian method of conversation: make every word into your friend
and your opponent's enemy."
- osOpinion: Microsoft's C#: FUD Are Masking The Motives(Aug 20, 2000)
- Linux.com: Journalism: Key Ingredient to FUDge(Aug 10, 2000)
- AllLinuxDevices: The FUD-Defying Embedded Penguin(Jul 25, 2000)
- eWeek: Redmond has already lost 'fud' factor(Jun 14, 2000)
- LinuxPlanet: Editor's Note: More FUD From Microsoft(May 07, 2000)
- osOpinion: Knee Deep FUD From Microsoft(Feb 18, 2000)
- Eric Lee Green: FUD101 At One Year Old(Dec 03, 1999)
- Linux Today Counter-FUD Work Reveals 'World Domination' in Progress(Dec 02, 1999)
- The Long Siege of Microsoft Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt(Dec 02, 1999)